Monday, May 4, 2020

Week 7 Quarantine: The Mask

Masks have become semi mandatory now.  So I finally gave in, put my bandana and hair tie contraption away, and made the family all masks, plus some for my nephews.  For the kids, I made these reversible ones.  For the adults, I made a few different kinds to try out.  My favorite is the "surgical" mask style with pleats and one ribbon going through a sleeve on each side so there is only one place to tie it and it scrunches up the sides and makes for a more comfortable fit without leaving gaps.  Our church started back up with Masses this Sunday and we needed these masks to wear during the service.  The other precautions our church took was to have every other pew seating, assigning you to your Mass time by last name, not use our Communion rail, and have ushers seat and dismiss, as well as have only two families going up for Communion at a time.  I felt very safe since we were so far from everyone, but I would have preferred everyone to actually keep their masks on.  If my four year old can do it, everyone can, right?

Genevieve's side one

I have been accused of making "beak-like" masks for the kids.  I don't see it as a problem because it at least leaves more room for their mouths to not be touching the masks, which I felt like would be more comfortable over time for them.

This is Genevieve's mask reversed.  This side has birds on it.

Here's Bob modeling my nephew's mask, side one.

Reversed
I have quite the pile of masks in my purse now with all sorts of ribbons and fabrics, but the most popular patterns were the black with treble clefs and the super hero patterns.
This one is Bob's.  He saw that I had rainbow ribbon and insisted on having that ribbon for his mask.  This side has robots and his reversed side has super heroes.  
We went to my sister's pool a few times this week and are counting my sister's family as inside our quarantine tight circle since they are staying very safe.






One night we set up the blow up screen and projector with a Disney movie.  The boys all really loved it, and I watched from the hot tub.




Otherwise, this week was very low key and I ran out of creative ideas.  The only special things we did was a Movie night with pizza for our family at our house and a trip to my Mother-in-law's house to help her clean out the garage.  Brian is still working from home.  We are still plugging along with homeschool. 

This coming week contains a birthday at our house.  It will be an adventure to see how to make Genevieve feel loved and appreciated here at home.

No comments: