Friday, November 3, 2017

Pumpkin Farm Field Trip

We did this same field trip last year, but the kids all love it and they all get to pick out a pumpkin as big as they can carry as a free gift with admission.  Judah was less afraid of the animals this year, but he was still keeping his distance from the cattle.

Dairy Cows (Apparently, Judah is still wearing the same rain coat this year, but last year I remembered the galoshes too.)
 Here's an interesting fact, they let their dairy cows choose when they want to be milked.  They come up to the gate near the machine when they are  ready.  I guess they get them to cooperate by giving them a tasty treat while they get milked.  So funny!


Another funny thing is that they have air conditioning units in the barns for the cows.  A friend and I turned to each other with our mouths open because German people don't even have air conditioning in their homes.

Drew and one of his good friends

Petting the horses

Petting a chicken

We rode on a hay ride hitched up to a tractor down the road to the pumpkin patch.  Most of the pumpkins were too big, so Bobby, Judah, and I really had to search for reasonably small pumpkins for them.




Hayride


Group photo
 It was so very super muddy in the pumpkin patch that most of the kids were covered in mud from slipping in it or from carrying their muddy pumpkin.  All our feet were wet because some crazy mom didn't remember to wear our galoshes this time.  I stripped the little boys form the waist down before letting them in my van.  The pile of muddy clothes, that I had fully intended to get right into the washing machine, was so big and so gross that I just couldn't do it.  I cleaned all the shoes right away, but the pile of muddy clothes sat there for 5 days before I could bring myself to deal with it.

Before we left they opened up their little store and we had cake and hot cider.  Always a fun and memorable day at the farm.

Hot cider and cake

No comments: