Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Marie's Wedding

The 6th graders at Great Hearts have a special dance/celebration every year after they read The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens called Fezziwig's Office Party.  The teachers dress up in full costume.  The students are encouraged to dress in Victorian formal attire.  I was surprised, but many parents got into costume as well.

I already had a commitment that evening with Brian for our Family Enrichment group and was on the fence about accompanying him to the event or just sending him with a friend.  I am so glad I decided to go!!!  It was a blast!


When I told him I decided to go with him to the party, he simple said, "Okay," which disappointed me.  I was looking for a little enthusiasm since I was making a sacrifice.  When I asked why he didn't sound too excited about it, he said that he didn't think he wanted to dance.  I said he didn't really have to.  He then proceeds to tell me that, actually, he did have to because he volunteered to demonstrate the dances to the parents who may not know them.  Great Hearts promotes old fashioned dances like the Virginia Reel and Marie's Wedding.  I think it is super funny that he volunteers for everything, even when he really doesn't think he likes to do it.  He gets that from his mama.  I also have a volunteer problem, but I hear that the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.


You can spot him in the picture pretty well with the green scarf.  This is one of the demos he did for the whole class, parents, and all.


The party begins with a formal sit down dinner with parlor games at the table.  The teachers serve everyone.  Then everyone helps clear away the tables for the dancing.




I love to dance and although I knew the Virginia Reel, I did not know Marie's Wedding and it was my favorite of all!  I cannot tell you how much fun it was, and I could go on gushing about it, but I'll just leave you with this, if you come visit us, I may teach you Marie's Wedding in our living room.

Isaac forbade me from posting any videos from the evening, but here is some random group of people doing the dance in case you are interested.



No comments: