Thursday, August 27, 2020

Trinity

 Trinity had been losing weight for a couple of months, but she is fifteen years old and had still been eating so we didn't worry too much about it.  After our move, however, she started eating less and less until it was nothing, and not much to show in the litter box.  Drew had just been switched onto the cat daily chore and just thought his job was the easiest.  There was no mess to scoop, no messes to sweep up, and the food didn't even need replacing.  It took us quite a few days to figure out she wasn't eating and it wasn't that Drew was just really on top of replacing her food and and scooping her messes.  By the time we noticed it, she was just skin, bones, and fur.  She was still moving around, but could no longer jump onto the beds.  Brian, ever the pathologist, thought she probably had cancer in her gut and this was the end for her.  As a last ditch effort, we got her canned cat food to see if we could get her to eat.  Brian anticipated that he would have to spoon feed her since she wasn't acting hungry.  He was really wrong about that because she devoured half of the can, so fast that we took it away and locked her in the bathroom, assuming that it was going to come right back up.  She kept it down and so after a while we gave her the other half and this went on and on for days, having many mini meals all day long.  It took another week before she began leaving presents in the litter box again.  Drew couldn't be happier.  :)

Her behavior changed as she began to eat.  She wouldn't leave my closet other than to go to the master bathroom and eat.  Now every time I go into my bathroom, she runs in and meows at me until I feed her.  I have been able to get her to eat soggy hard food in between times when I open a new can of wet food.  In the last two weeks, she has gained a lot of weight back and some of her strength has returned, but she is still confining herself to my closet and bathroom.  I call her the energizer cat, because she just keeps going ad going.  I'm still feeding her three or four times a day.

The only thing we can figure is that her mouth was hurting in some way and the hard food was too painful to eat so she was starving to death.

This was the day we got her the wet food.  She probably weighed half her usual 8 lbs if I had to guess.

And here are some throw back photos of Hannah and Trinity back in the kitten days.  I had a lot more time to take pictures back in those days.  :)  All these pictures were taken before or just soon after Genevieve was born, and all of them are in our home in upstate New York.


  






And can I just say the proverbial, "Where has the time gone?"  Although I love spending time with Hannah as a "grown" teen, I miss these days of chubby legs and sweet innocence too.

No comments: