Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Week 2 Quarantine: An Introvert's Dream

Week 2 has been actually kind of fun.  My husband is working from home.  The oldest three kids have had school packets sent home and were to complete the daily portions independently to be dropped off at wave times the next Monday.  This is my homeschooling mom's dream come true...I keep on homeschooling the youngest three and the older ones get a quality education that they can complete on their own (that I don't have to grade!) for free.  I LOVE having them all home with us.  My oldest kids have only been in school for a short time anyway and already are excellent at handling their own school work load.  I rarely have to even help with homework.  I am sure this isn't easy for people with young children who are usually in school and need someone to stay on top of them and answer a lot of questions.  I already do this for my young ones, so it isn't any different.  The best part so far is that all our activities are cancelled so we are now focusing on school each morning.  We are making a lot of progress.

Every afternoon this week we played a game (or sometimes several) together.  Ticket to Ride, Sushi Go!, Marrying Mr. Darcy, Antidote, 5 Second Rule, Ultimate One Night Werewolf to name a few.  One afternoon, we were getting tired of games, so we watched the live action Lion King together since we had never seen it.

We started walking every day together, usually to the park.





The little kids and I started doing "Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems," together.

These are Judah's drawings.  The first one is a creature with many legs, and his stripes are falling off.

I drew a fun spider as my creature with many legs, and Bob copied me.

The grocery stores have limits of how many people can go in at one time.  They even have monitors on the busy aisles letting only about four people on one aisle at a time.  Brian and I decided to go to two different stores at the same time because of all the limits on how many items you can buy at one time.  If we can only buy two loaves of bread, that will only last about three days.  A 10 lb bag of chicken breasts doesn't even last us three meals.  A giant jar of peanut butter won't make it a week in this household.  We decided to gradually stock up on some things like canned food and rice and beans.  Each time we go to the store we'll just get a few more items to add to our pantry just in case the grocery stores have a problem restocking at some point.

I know many extroverts that are sick of this already, but I had a wonderful week.  I think I needed a breather from our activities, the hustle and bustle.  The lady at the check out counter of HEB was talking to me.  Upon discovering I had six kids, she expressed her sympathies that I had them all at home with me.  I had to tell her that I love having them all home, but I'm a homeschooler and so it isn't as hard of an adjustment for me.  Plus, we re-assigned chores this week and I am getting so much more help around the house again from the older kids.

No comments: