Sunday, April 19, 2020

Week 5 Quarantine: Even the Introverts are getting antsy.

This week we found out that the big kids' school is not opening up until next school year.  They will continue with distance learning using Google Classroom which they just got up and running this week.  It seems as though we still have to pick up packets though unless we want to print a billion pages to complete and scan to submit.  This charter school is tech-free and they are trying to keep kids off the screens and allow for bigger families with only one computer.

All sports were announced to be sending refunds and cancelling the seasons, both connected with the school and outside sports.  Basketball is now limited to our own hoop in the driveway, even the neighborhood court is closed.  I challenged the older four kids to make 100 free throws to earn a Sonic drink, but I should've made it a higher number because it only took them two days.  I raised it to 300 for the net one or they can do 1000 and earn a trip to a Japanese Hibachi grill after restaurants open back up.  I challenged Judah to learn to tie his shoes because I had tried multiple times to teach him with no success.  I guess he just needed a motivator because it only took him half an hour to learn.  Not he is supposed to master his bike without training wheels to get the net drink reward.

Bobby is the only one not trying hard to earn his reward.  His challenge was to master his balance bike.  He won't stay on it for more than five minutes and gives up quite easily.  Apparently, the baby thinks he can whine, cry, and weasel his way to his reward.  I'm too stubborn for that though.

I was happy the school's not reopening, antsy or not, I love having my kids at home.  However, I was heartbroken that my gym announced they are closing the branch on our street that I have been missing so much.  I had a wonderful routine for the first time since I was pregnant with Hannah, more than 15 years ago.   I am a big group fitness person and look forward to exercising if I have a class to go to.  I was doing some weights as well right after my cardio classes because it was easy to tack on an extra 15-20 minutes at the end.  There's another branch in the opposite direction, but it is older and didn't have as good of a class offering or as excellent of teachers or a women's workout room which I love having for weights.  Sadness.

I took a picture of the crochet project I was in the middle of when I ran out of yarn.  I have only found this yarn at Hobby Lobby and their online store is out of stock of the color I need.  I am hoping when they open up their stores I'll be able to find it.  My back up plan is to trim it in a different color and not do the sleeves.  But I've come so far and it has been months in the making because I am always pausing it to make gifts.  This one is supposed to be for me.

Since I got stuck on that project I've been painting my nativity scenes, and I finally got the gold thread in the mail and was able to complete the front of the saint doll.  I have made two more drawings for saint dolls in the future as well.  Here are some more in progress pictures.

St Stephen with his stones and palm leaf (My drawing first draft is on the right, but Hannah thought his head wasn't big enough.)
Queen of Heaven


Our Lady of Lourdes
I also mended Hannah's quilt and a darned a throw blanket as well this week.

No comments: