Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Purification of Barbie (and my quilts!)

I know. I know. You say it can't be done. But I am going to try my hardest. I loved Barbie when I was young. As I grew up and had girls of my own, I couldn't wait for them to be old enough to get my very special Barbie dolls that I had saved so many years ago. Then the time came, and I got them out of the attic at my parents house. I looked at them and didn't see the same toy I once saw. I saw an unnaturally beautiful doll with immodest clothes. I was heartbroken to think my girls would be denied these hand-me-down dolls that I saved so many years ago. So I had a mission to make these dolls holy. I sorted through the clothes and threw out all immodest clothing, keeping mostly the ball gowns and handmade clothes my mom had purchased from a friend. Then I went to the store and realized that they pretty much don't make modest clothing anymore for Barbie, if they ever did. I made a new plan, and that plan was to make my own clothes for them...

I am no expert seamstress, I assure you. Plus, I was in a hurry with this particular batch to get them accomplished (as well as their quilts and bows) before Christmas. Upon close inspection you would see the flaws. But these are kids who don't know any better and, hopefully, will appreciate the gift since their mommy made it. I had no pattern just a website with a pattern for a full sized Jedi costume that I used for inspiration. The nun costume turned out shorter than I had planned (I had wanted it to hit the floor,) and the head piece is just a rectangle with a white band of fabric and some Velcro sewed onto it. The night gowns were made in similar fashion, and I added embroidery around the collar and the girls initials on the front (can't be seen in my pitiful photos.) Then I made matching pillows with ribbon sewed onto the edges. I also made a tutu which is not shown.

I know I can not fix the unrealistic proportions of the dolls, the tattooed makeup, etc., etc., etc. But I sincerely hope this helps to at least convey the modesty and holy living that I want the girls to learn. I have lots more clothes planned (like a monk outfit for Ken doll,) but this is all I completed in time for Christmas because of...

Hannah's quilt
I made this from handkerchiefs in her favorite colors. It is much bigger than the other two and was quite a bit easier.

Genna's quilt
I made this one from a kit, and only slightly adapted it when I messed up a couple of squares. She is my princess pink girl and will love this.

Isaac's quilt
I made his from a kit as well. But there was a mistake in the kit and there was not enough of the backing fabric, so I had to go fabric hunting in my generous friend and neighbor's super amazing sewing room to come up with a matching rust colored fabric. It matches the helmets perfectly.

All in all, I am pleased with the facts that they look pretty good and that I actually started and finished these in one week while still being a mom everyday. Still don't know how that happened. Partly due to my recently returned husband, and in part because Isaac had a miraculous string of days that week where he napped longer than usual. The photos I took of the hair bows did not come out well, so I will take pictures of them when they are being worn since they will be cuter that way anyway.

1 comment:

MInTheGap said...

Love the outfits you gave to Barbie. My youngest is just starting to get into dolls-- she likes the Disney Princesses. Don't know what to do about Jasmine or Ariel-- and when she got this book for Christmas that had them all dressed fancy, I didn't like what they did with Ariel's-- ummm-- top.

In any case, it's definitely something that I think you need to be careful with all along the way. Even though (as you mentioned) kids are not attuned to immodesty, it is getting in their mind, and it's important that there is a difference.