Saturday, March 30, 2013

How's Tad Doing?

He is a mover and a shaker, I am afraid.  He is also estimated at 12 oz now which is a "good size" according to the doctor.  That translates in my mind to the doctor saying, "I am glad I won't be pushing that baby out of my own body."

I had another ultrasound at 20 weeks on Wednesday, and he never stopped moving.  He looked beautiful and the perinatalogist took her time because she was admiring how healthy he looked.  I guess she sees a lot of unhealthy babies since she is the high risk doctor.  He has a minor thing called Choroid Plexus Cysts in his brain, but these are not harmful to him and will go away by the end of the pregnancy.  One percent of the time the presence of these is related to Trisomy 18, and so they offered us a non-invasive blood test to check the levels of the chromosomes in the fetal cells in my blood.  We decided to do it because it is non-invasive and has a very low false positive rate.  The results of the test will only give us peace of mind if he doesn't have Trisomy 18 or help us to start preparing a birth plan for our Tad if he has Trisomy 18.  As I mentioned before he was all healthy other than these cysts, so there is no real reason to believe that he has Trisomy 18.  Trisomy 18 babies usually have many other things wrong with them, like with their kidneys, heart, hands, and lip.  We are fairly confident that Tad is healthy and all will be well, but we will rely on God and get through it if he is not.  Easier said than done, I know, but we will cross that bridge if we come to it.

Here are the promised pictures of Tad.  We have tons more, but most of them are very similar to these two.  The one on the left is straight on his face with his hand up kind of waving.  The one on the right is a profile.

No comments: