Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Just a Couple of Old Fogies

Brian and I just turned forty this month within a few days of each other.  My birthday was on Superbowl Sunday as it frequently is, but it was also on the Troops campout weekend.  Brian took Isaac and Drew camping with their troop.  Brian had insisted that we could not do a Superbowl party this year because my brother-in-law already had one planned and the camping trip would interfere, etc.  I was a little disappointed because I knew that there would only be people we don't really know at my sister's house.  So the night before, spur of the moment, I decided we were going out to dinner for my birthday regardless.  I chose a place that I knew Brian didn't like to go to and we piled in the van to go.  I should mention that I did text my siblings to see if anyone wanted to go with us, but they all had excuses not to go.  SO we went to Olive Garden.




The next morning we drove out to Mass at the Mission of Divine Mercy where we met up with the highly exhausted camper boys and Brian.  After Mass he rushed us to the van and told me that we had to hurry or I'd be late for my spa afternoon.  I got a really long massage and facial and then returned home to find everyone ready to leave to go to my sister's house for the Superbowl party.  When we arrived, Brian told us she wanted us to use the front door instead of the garage door like we usually do.  Still not catching on at all I follow the group to the front door and am super surprised to find my mom and dad in town and everyone yelling, "Surprise!"  There were a few others in town too, including my brother-in-law and mother-in-law, and my local college friend came also.  There were decorations and more dips than I'd ever seen in one place.  Dips are my absolute favorite thing!  






Turns out that my sister and brother felt really badly about not going to dinner with me on Saturday night, but my mom and dad had just arrived in town and they were hiding them for me to keep the surprise.


I had seen the rest of my college friends that live around Texas the weekend before (a mini weekend reunion) and so none of them had been able to come.  We don't know many people here very well yet, and Brian was worried that not many people came, but I knew why many of the people he listed off couldn't come.  They were already planning on coming to my surprise party for him the following Friday.  He thought that just he and I were going somewhere (surprise location) on Friday, but really I had invited his high school/college friends from Austin and Houston areas to come surprise him at The Hoppy Monk (a restaurant that he'd been saying he wanted to try).

At the same time as trying to throw this surprise party I was helping plan the girls' end of the year basketball party.  Between that and not being able to make reservations at this particular restaurant, I was kind of stressed.  Earlier in the evening, his mom came to cut the kids' hair.  We left her with our children with the plan that she'd show up afterwards to surprise him at The Hoppy Monk because he thought it was a date.

When we got to the restaurant, it looked crowded from the parking lot and it was cold, so no outside seating which I had been counting on.  I knew that my sister had been there a while and had snagged a table and been grabbing chairs as people left.  Brian said he wanted to drop me off and have me get a table if I could.  Everyone had made it in town just in time and they were all already at the table with my sister.  I checked in with them and went back to the front to find Brian as he came in.  He was just walking in and I grabbed his arm and told him to hurry, that I had found us one table in the back.  He was so surprised to see and recognize his old buddies one by one as he walked up to the table!


We were able to hang out after dinner and it was really a fun night.  Brian had a great time and that was the main goal.  Happy birthday to us!




No comments: