Thursday, March 14, 2019

Field Trip: Zoo

One of my big goals this second half of the school year is to go on lots of field trips.  One, because Bobby is doing better missing his one and only nap from time to time, thereby giving us more hours in the afternoon (when all field trips pretty much happen) to go on field trips.  Two, because it is looking like Isaac may be starting Great Hearts next school year for 6th grade, he's ahead in all the major subjects, and he won't have this kind of opportunity to do these fun things with me once he's in school.

First step, I joined the zoo annual membership for the boys and myself.  The boys loved it! 


We started the day, dropping off the girls at school and packing up lunches while  trying to get our basic subject independent work completed in the morning.  When we arrived, I wrote my phone number on the boys' arms if they couldn't tell it to me.  Judah, my child that gets lost more than any other, says to me, "Mom, I don't think that I'll get lost because I like to stay close to you."  Well, yes, but somehow, you do manage it, dear.

Flamingos

Otters


We stopped in the tot area with playgrounds and adorable baby anteaters riding on their mama's backs to eat our lunch.  I remember my grandmother used to take me to the zoo and pack a picnic lunch.  This moment brought back the memory of the time a peacock stole my peanut butter and jelly from me.  My grandmother loved to tell that story.

Animal Encounter with a Bearded Dragon
We all got to pet her!




Judah was particularly excited to see an Okapi (Don't let the facial expression fool you!) because he has a stuffed Okapi from the Rain Forrest Cafe named Ollie.

Wild dogs
They were really cute and seemed to have a good relationship with the zoo keepers.

By far the favorite was feeding the birds!  You buy nectar and go in with the birds.  They fly to your arm and eat it fight out of the cup.  I had assumed Bob would freak out, so he went in with us, but I didn't buy him a cup of nectar.  He was quite upset about that, so next time I'll have to let him do it.  Judah was not a fan of their claws on his arm, but he stayed calm and let them finish eating.







By the time we got to the bird house, Bobby was worn out.  It was a small round house and so he laid on the bench while we looked at the beautiful birds.  Before we had to head out to pick up the girls from school, we happened upon a bird trainer working with a cockatoo.  That was fun to see and learn about for the kids.


We didn't get through the whole zoo, but that's okay because the membership for a year was about the same as two visits to the zoo, so it was cost efficient for us to get that and come back often! 

No comments: