Monday, July 22, 2019

Our Smiley Face Independence Day 2019

I have been going to the gym this summer and so I started the day with a little Cross-fit action at the gym. Brian and Genevieve went running because she is working on her 100 mile challenge this summer.  At this point, she was almost halfway there!

We drove to Marble Falls to visit friends and family.  Started out at Nanna's house for some haircuts for Drew and Bob, and then we all met friends at a restaurant.

Nanna got herself a new cat, Molly, and she was overwhelmed by our brood, so Genevieve spent the good part of an hour trying to convince her to come out from under the chair.

The fireworks in Marble Falls are done from a boat in the river.  There was a church that hosted a festival and opened their lawn for firework viewing.  We claimed a spot with blankets and chairs, and the kids got sno-cones, jumped in bouncy houses and played games while we waited for the sun to set.

I passed out glow bracelets as the sun set and I reminded all the kids about the game I played as a child with my family during fireworks where we'd try to guess what color would be next.  And as the fireworks started we quickly realized that that game is out of date since they don't just do one firework at a time anymore.  Plus, the fireworks would start one color and change to another color.  Then the littles' minds were totally blown when the fireworks made a star shape, a Saturn shape, and then to top it all off, a smiley face.  You should have heard the gasps.  Somewhere in there Judah, who was in my lap, and I came up with the idea to give the displays names.  Judah had some really good ones like "Rain Cloud," "Dripping Shimmer," and "Buzzing Bees."  I loved listening to his creative, and sometimes funny/sometimes genius names.



Bobby is growing up I guess because he sat captivated in his mini camper chair.  It was a really nice afternoon/evening where I felt we made meaningful memories together.  Hannah only has four years left with us, and that is hard for this mom to accept.


We arrived home at midnight and the oldest four went out with Brian to do their own fireworks display.  The littlest two were carried in and placed in bed already sound asleep after the hour drive.  My heart can't handle watching my children play with fireworks.  I'm a wuss when it comes to fire.


The day was quite busy, but I did find myself thinking of Lillian a few times.  It was nine years ago today that I miscarried, and she would be eight years old now.  I wore my Lily necklace that Brian got me years ago as a nod to my Sweet Pea.

No comments: