Friday, January 10, 2020

The Crazy Last Week of School Before Break

The last week before break was really packed.  We had 3 basketball games all in different directions, teen caroling on the river, a bible study, a Dad's night out, and a winter concert, and that was all in the 4 evenings.  During the daytime I was finishing up school with the boys at home, had a CT scan, and went to the Tobin for a field trip.  On Friday we were leaving for a week to go to Dallas, so I was also packing and finishing up my Christmas shopping and wrapping.  I tell you all these things to explain why I blew it big time on Thursday evening.

Isaac had his concert and Genna had her game in two totally different directions around the same time.  Brian was going to go to Genna;s game and I was going to Isaac's concert.  We arranged it this way for two reasons.  One, he needed to be picked up from school, taken home, fed, and change into his formal attire for the concert before being driven over to Trinity University Auditorium.  Two, he told me there'd be a surprise for me during the concert.  

I have to admit after the long week of everything going fairly smoothly and I had all the things he needed for the concert, I was feeling pretty on top of it.  Isaac told me he needed to be there at 5:30pm.  He was sure, even though I thought this very strange since there were two concerts, according to the page long information sheet, the younger kids concert was first and his was at 7pm.  Why on earth would they need to be there an hour and a half early?  I even checked with a friend to make sure I didn't break my back to get him there during rush hour traffic for nothing.  It was confirmed that the arrival time was 5:30, but I still didn't know why.  Maybe so they can watch the younger kids first?  Isaac had mentioned something about the Kindergartners singing first.  

I was so very tired by this time in the week.  I'd been up late and up early everyday that week because of gift wrapping and finishing up that Nativity set.  I was pinching and slapping myself to keep me awake just driving to the concert at 5:30pm.  I only took Drew with me to watch the concert, so I decided I'd take a power nap in the van before going in while Isaac went on in.  I fell right asleep and felt so much better after a half hour nap.  Drew and I took our time and went into the building.  Someone asked me if I was here for the next concert and told me to sit on one of the benches until they announced the next concert.  

Drew and I sat down on the bench and watched when the little kids came filing out after their concert.  They let people come out and then, eventually, started calling for the next concert singers.  I thought that was weird.  Why would they release all the older kids only to call them back in a few minutes for their concert.  Then I heard a teacher call out, "I need all 3rd through 5th graders, last call."  Wait, what?  I jumped up and asked him, "What about the 6th graders?"  He then told me they were singing in the first concert with K-2nd grade.  

My head started spinning.  How could this be?  I sat outside and missed his concert.  I was here, and I missed it?  I missed his surprise.  Then I started trying to find Isaac in the chaos, because that meant he was somewhere on the other side, most likely, looking or waiting for me.  We found him after stopping a few of his friends to ask where he was.  Isaac said, "I didn't see you.  Where were you sitting?"    Drew blurts out the bitter truth before I can even formulate a response.  His face fell and his eyes immediately were rimmed with unshed tears.  I grabbed his wrist and said, "Don't cry.  I want to cry too.  Let's just get out of here first."  In my memory, we ran like White Queen dragging Alice by the wrist through Wonderland in the Alice and the Looking Glass, and the moment we were out the doors, I burst into tears.  I cried and apologized all the way home.  I was so mad at myself for not seeing the comma after the "K-2nd graders," followed by the "and 6th graders" on that information sheet.  I read it at least four times and my mind just put him in the "3rd -5th graders" whose concert began at 7pm every time.  And WHY, didn't I just go in to the other concert when I came in the building?!  I would have probably seen all of the 6th grader's songs if I had!  If only...

Isaac, sweet as he is, tried so hard to be tough about it, but I came and sat with him on the couch at home and we cried together.  To make me feel better, he sang me a couple of verses for me even though he hates to sing alone in front of anyone.  Turned out he was chosen to introduce the last song, the school song "The Minstrel Boy" on the microphone.  None of my kids have ever been brave enough to do something like that!  I have never been brave enough to do that.  I'm scared to death of speaking into a microphone.  And I missed it.

It was a humbling experience for me, who often pridefully fall into thinking I have this all down and can juggle all the balls one can give me.  Well, I dropped the ball this time.  I just wish that my lesson in humility hadn't hurt my son in the process.  Thankfully, someone videotaped the concert.  The family is going to watch it this weekend actually on our TV because it just became available to watch a couple days ago.  

I also completely forgot to take any pictures of him at all because I was so emotionally distraught and Isaac was upset.  I wish I'd taken some before we left home.  He was so handsome in his tie.

This is from our field trip to the Tobin to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream" performed by the San Antonio Orchestra, an acting company, and a ballet company as well.  We got box seats, but still could only see half the stage.  Who designed that?

To end on a happier note, here's some cuties ready for Christmastime!




No comments: