Thursday, January 16, 2020

Christmas Eve 2019: Disaster Strikes

My dad's side of the family has a traditional Christmas Eve party that has been going since I was born.  A few parts of the tradition have evolved over the years, but it is one of the things I always missed the most when we lived far away and couldn't drop everything and fly us all back.  

The newest generation (minus my three big kids who participate in the adult gift exchange game)  The little kids do a Secret Santa type drawing and get a gift for one other cousin.


The adult gift exchange game, it's like a White Elephant game.  Everybody brings one gift, unlabeled and we draw numbers.  There are maximum times gifts can be stolen.  Brian got the Christmas Story "leg" lamp.  It makes an appearance in our Christmas Eve gift exchange every so often.  Brian wanted it and it know resides on his night stand.  I kid you not.  Marriage is about sacrifice.

All the kids, my sister's kids are the only ones who couldn't make it this year.


Brian's mom drove down to go to this party with us and spend some time with all of us.

Our family
We really had a fabulous time!  Afterwards we headed to midnight Mass and my parents took my mother-in-law home.  Right as we were situated in a pew all our own at church, Brian received a text from my mom that his mom had fallen and the ambulance was coming.  They thought her ankle was broken.  She was carrying a few gifts and walked right off from our kitchen into our sunken living room, not remembering or seeing it was a step down. 

Turns out it was dislocated, and both the tibia and the fibula were broken.  She was hospitalized through Christmas and they put a plate and screws in on the day after Christmas.  She wasn't released, in fact, until the afternoon of the 28th.  I ended up taking the kids home on the 27th and Brian brought her to our house in San Antonio the next day in her car.  She is non weight bearing for six weeks. 

No comments: