Thursday, December 21, 2017

A Little Bit of Drew

Drew has been learning to read and, although he is going slower than most of my kids, he is coming along.  He's definitely more of a math and science guy.  He is picking up the math very quickly and he's always up for a science experiment.


He's learning his German very well too.  Poor guy missed more than a week of kindergarten because he got very, very sick.  He also had to miss the St. Martin's Day Procession that was on a Saturday evening.  His class made lanterns and sung songs with the rest of the village.  I stayed home with him and Judah because Judah was still recovering from his bit of illness as well.  Judah's was a quick little bug of two days of a fever and a sore throat, but Drew's ended up turning into strep throat.  I didn't recognize it right away though because he had the fever but kept saying his throat didn't hurt, but started complaining of neck pain.  A couple days in (over the weekend, of course) he starts refusing to move his neck.  I was panicking and suspecting meningitis, but Brian was sure that was not it.  I ended up calling the urgent care nurse and she was pretty sure that if it was meningitis he would be sensitive to light and much more immobile. 

I took him in on Monday since his fevers had been around 102-104 every time the meds wore off for four days by then.  He was walking around with his head cocked to the same side all the time and was up every night in severe pain.  The doctor walked in and said,"So, run of the mill virus, huh?" and I had to bite my tongue.  This pediatrician knows me and knows how many children I have.  Do I have time to just come to the doctor for a "run of the mill virus?"  We live forty minutes from the hospital.  I was sure the strange neck pain and high fevers would warrant a trip to the doctors.  After he examined him, he determined that it was probably just his lymph nodes that were making his neck hurt.  He said we needed to wait it out until Friday before taking further steps.  Well, Friday was my husband's promotion, and so this news that he may not be better by then and I may have to come up to the doctor again on the busy day when I would be baking and getting ready for the reception did not make me happy.  Plus, my sweet boy was still in a ton of pain for all but a  few hours here and there when the medicines were overlapping.  He said if the lymph nodes get any bigger or lopsided to come back sooner.

Sure enough they did and we were back up at the doctor's office on Wednesday.  This time the doctor ordered a blood draw and a strep test (although the latter was just to be thorough because he was sure that wasn't it since his throat wasn't very red.)  He was putting in an antibiotic at the pharmacy regardless because the blood work wouldn't be back for a few days. 

Drew was so very brave about his blood draw.  It was his first and he just sat there so tough and trusted me that this was easier and less painful than a shot.  After we finished the nurse got in touch with me to tell me that his strep test was actually positive.  Whew!  I just wished he'd been "thorough" on Monday!  Drew was feeling tip top by the promotion just two days later, but he still had a slight head tilt.  That went away gradually over the weekend.


No comments: