Thursday, December 7, 2017

All Saint's Party

This year the RE at our church had an All Saint's Party so the homeschool group didn't have to plan it.  The weekend before I threw together some costumes to fit everyone's desires, except for Bobby who didn't really want to dress up at all.  He asked to take his costume off a bunch of times, so I distracted him with food.

The cutest angel and St Francis of Assisi 2 year olds ever!

These look like wedding photos!

Bobby AKA St. Francis of Assisi


To make his costume, I trimmed off the edge of one of my two brown "monk" tunics that the kids had used in a history lesson years ago and sewed it on to the top to make that brown part that hangs over on St. Francis's tunic.  Then I drew a bird, traced it onto white fabric with fabric markers, sewed it together and stuffed it.  I pinned the birdy on his tunic and he was ready to go.  It was, probably, a 15 minute project altogether.

The saints lined up to announce themselves and a few facts about themselves.

Mother Mary with her baby brother as Jesus is standing next to St. Isadore.  (Not my kids, but such a cute picture!)

Isaac AKA St. Sebastian

To make his costume we went with the red over-sized t-shirt and black pants.  I poked holes in the front of the shirt where I inserted a few arrows and hot glued them to a cardboard circle on the inside of the shirt (tips cut off, of course).  Brian tied some ropes around him as though he was tied to a tree.

Hannah AKA St. Joan of Arc...all I had to do was cut up a gray t-shirt into a "breast-plate" and put a duct tape in the shape of a fleur de lis.  We already had the sword and cape in our dress up trunk.

Genevieve AKA St. Rose of Lima...She has already been St. Rose before so we already had the head dress.  The old dress did not fit her anymore, so I made a white dress from curtains that I got at the thrift store for less than 50 cents.

St. Isaac Jogues and St. Andrew the Apostle and their friend were on the front row.
Drew AKA St. Andrew the Apostle...I also made his tunic out of curtains that were less than 50 cents at the thrift store.  I used an old green fabric to sew a loop for his sash.  We had a braided belt already in our dress up box.  He made the fish out of cardboard and string.  Super easy as well!

Judah AKA St. Isaac Jogues...This is another repeat so I had no work to do on this one at all.  Isaac was St. Isaac when he was little.  The costume fit perfect.


It was a great way to celebrate the Saints and learn more about them!


No comments: