Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Pumpkin carving wasn't as bad as I remembered it.



This (along with making gingerbread houses) is not my favorite thing.  I kinda dread it.  Last year, I got out of it by having Daddy do it when I was out of town, but this year I was not so lucky.


It's not that I don't like the process of pumpkin carving, quite the contrary, in fact.  I used to carve elaborate pumpkins before we even had kids.  I love artsy things, and this is right up my alley.  However, fast forward many years and give me three to five pumpkins to carve (myself!) and throw in some super sharp knives, a bunch of kids who don't want to get their hands dirty but have all sorts of opinions about what their pumpkin should look like with none of the skills to make their dreams come true surrounding you and all taking at once and there you have the reasons I stopped enjoying the process several children ago.



However, all that has changed.  The three big kids only needed me to cut open the top and they did the rest.  They drew their design on, carved it all by themselves, and no one cut themselves this year!  The three little guys did need help, but this year we staggered the pumpkin carving with only two carving at a time.  This meant one big kid and one little kid at a time.  Their pumpkins were smaller and so didn't take as long.  Drew did the drawing on his pumpkin first and I gutted and carved it for him.  Judah helped with his drawing and chose a heart eyed emoji for his design which was easy enough.  We did all this while Bobby was napping and when he woke up, I drew with markers on his pumpkin and he was happy with that.  It was really not that bad, on the whole.



We ended up with three emoji pumpkins and two traditional ones, plus Bob's baby pumpkin.


The flip side


Genevieve was busy that day finishing up her costume for the next night, and so she waited to do hers until the next day.


No comments: