Friday, March 9, 2018

Counting Flights, Snow in Rome, and a Long Travel Day

We made a very quick trip to Rome to attend the papal audience; more on that tomorrow.  It was so quick (only one full day in Rome) that we flew and packed only a teeny tiny backpack for all the kids with two changes of clothes plus pjs.  I only brought one change of clothes.  We brought just a few snacks, books, and tablets to keep people occupied on the plane and in restaurants.  It was officially THE lightest packing I have ever done.  


As we were waiting to take off, I started counting how many flights Bobby's been on and then tried my best to recall the same stats for all of the kids.  I am still not sure that the girls' stats are accurate, but here is what I can remember specifically.  I counted all one way flights, not including any stops along the way.  These numbers include both flights to and from Rome this time.

Bobby-11 flights in less than three years of life
Judah-
Drew
Isaac
Genevieve 
Hannah


I told Bobby that the airplane was going to be loud when it takes off.  Afterwards he looked at me and said very quietly, "I want to get off this airplane."  That's when I started counting up flights because this guy is no newbie to flying, but he had never even noticed take off before.

Upon arrival we saw the remnants of the snow.  Apparently, it never snows in Rome and this was the first time in fifteen years.  I had been looking forward to some warmer weather and while I guess it was technically warmer than in Germany, it wasn't quite what I was imagining.  It snowed the night before we left Germany so all was white when we left.
After arriving, we had to hop on a bus for a 45 minute ride to the main train station, where we switched to the Metro for another 15 minutes.  Then we walked about 10 minutes to our apartment.  We left our house at 8am and arrived at the apartment about 4:00pm.  If we had driven it would have been a travel time of about 12 hours, so we didn't save a ton of time in the end.


What a smile!


After we got situated in our apartment, we went to the Pantheon to meet Godfather Brian.  We went to a spaghetteria that was seriously amazing!



Pantheon Ceiling





After dinner, it was gelato, of course, even though it was 9:30pm and even though it was super cold.  We had an early morning planned the next day, but we survived on less than an ideal amount of sleep.


No comments: