Saturday, March 3, 2018

Dentist: Bobby's First Time!

Unfortunately, here the dental appointments all have to be in pairs for the children.  Once upon a time, I was able to schedule them all back to back and be done with it twice a year, plus my appointments.  Hannah and Genevieve had appointments two weeks ago.  Drew had one by himself, and then Isaac had to have a separate one following his orthodontist appointment.  Then the two youngest were scheduled to go at the same time as my appointment.  Altogether this month, between all trips to the doctor and dentist, we had a total of 11 appointments.  That is not including one trip to the ER and the cancelled pre-op and surgery for Judah's hernia.  I sort of did this clustering of appointments on purpose because our road that has been closed forever finally opened for the winter break and it will be closing again in the middle of February.  Judah's surgery was cancelled because he got a fever about four days before it was scheduled.  The ER trip was for Hannah this time.  She hurt her thumb in basketball and I wanted to get x-rays to confirm it wasn't broken.  They gave her a brace to wear while the sprain healed. 

*Since beginning to write this post, I had to take Isaac to the ER as well.  We had a trip planned the next day with Brian's family that was visiting and he was crying form ear pain for the second night in a row.  I have been spoiled and never had to wait long at the ER, or I wouldn't have taken him.  We got there at 9pm and didn't leave until 3am.  He did have an ear infection and a perforated eardrum as well.*

Back to my story about the dentist.  It was an early appointment and I had to drop Drew off at Kindergarten on our way.  It was also snowing that morning and the roads looked okay, but I am always nervous once the roads get white because of the whole getting stuck coming up our hill in December.  We make it there on time, but not before I step out of the van at the Kindergarten and realize that I am wearing my slippers.

Nice look, right?

Judah volunteered to go first and show Bobby how it is done.  He was such a big boy and did great!


And then came Bobby's turn.  He started out fine, but halfway through he started to want down and not open his mouth.  I sat in the chair and held him and talked him through it.  I really think the only reason he opened his mouth again was to get a toy like the one that she had given to Judah.


Then it was my turn and the boys happily played with their toy poppers while I sat in the chair.  Congrats, Bob, on your first dental experience ever and there were no tears!


No comments: