Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Heidelberg, Germany: Cousins come for a visit!

 Brian's cousin (and her family) from England arrived on a Thursday.  We took them to the American shops that day while Brian was at work and met him for dinner afterwards.  Annabelle (almost 4) was a doll and totally fell in love with Hannah and Drew immediately.  She either had Hannah's hand or was chasing Drew around giggling at everything he did.  It was super adorable.  Plus, I just couldn't get enough of her precious British accent.  She would say to her baby brother, "Reuben, would you like to have a go?"  and we were puddy in her hands.  Reuben (almost 2) was a bit shier, but he still copied his sister and wanted to hold Hannah's hand from time to time as well.

We gave up TV/movies for Lent so the boys were anxious to look over Reuben's shoulder at his tablet.


Dinner
The next day we got going as soon as we could and drove an hour and a half to Heidelberg.  We first ate lunch because many a plans have gone awry with sightseeing with hungry little ones.  After a delightful lunch, we went to the train that takes you up to the castle.  There are tracks and a special train that go straight up the side of the mountain to the castle, no switchbacks or long rides around the mountain.  

Just arrived


The front of the train had a big glass front that you could look out and see the tracks and tunnel.  The kids thought this was pretty cool, except for Hannah who was pretty scared.  I told her she was doing a great job and I was proud of her.  She said something to the effect of her not having a choice.  On the contrary, I then proceeded to tell her how I handled the skyline in Disney World when my parents made me go on it.  I cried and tried to hold onto the gate so they couldn't get me on.  I also have a vague memory of trying to convince the guy running the ride that they were not my parents and they had kidnapped me.  She thought that story was pretty funny and it took her mind off her own fear.  








Somebody was feeling left out since Annabelle and Drew were having such a time of it together.  I told him to just go join in.  He said he wasn't funny like Drew, but I told him that was nonsense.  He makes me laugh all the time.


And here he is trying to join in the fun, but clearly not making much headway.  He looks like he's a stand up comedian in this picture.


Largest wine barrel





I think this was a mistake picture, but I kind of like it.

And I really LOVE this picture!


He's got something that really gets the little girls.  He's got a girl at Kindergarten that makes him hearts all the time and is very fond of him.



Going back down the mountain with a front row seat!

We stopped for treats for the car ride home before leaving.

Another favorite picture of the kids!

No comments: