Tuesday, July 24, 2018

It's getting real packed up, Big Guy.

When one of the boys is losing control of their temper, I like to try the Black Widow's lullabye that she uses for the Hulk.  I say, "The sun is getting real low, Big Guy."  They don't really get it.  They've never seen the Marvel movies.  In fact, one day, exasperated by my "lullabye" Judah says, "Mom, that doesn't even work!"  But it does for me.  It keeps it light for me, and when your son is turning green and bursting out of his clothes he's so angry, humor makes it doable for me.

That story doesn't actually relate to this post, just to the title of the post.  This post is about our movers coming to pack us all out except for our small shipment of sheets, towels, pots and dishes, a few toys, and bikes that goes at the last minute.  


They packed us out in two days which is a record.  It usually takes three, but they had a lot of hard workers.  The only little mistake I made in my mad dash to organize the whole house for the shipment in only three days was that I didn't make it quite clear enough with my labeling not to pack what was inside of the dresser that I was not shipping.  I labeled it "Do not pack" but I failed to tape up the drawers and so they thought it was just the dresser that was supposed to be left and not all of Bob's clothes that were put in the drawers.  Before I knew it, all of his summer clothes that I had set aside were packed up in the room full of boxes and the guy had no idea which box they were in.  So we have been living with only the clothes that were in the laundry room, awaiting being washed.  Two friends did dig through their clothes and donated a few things since I had only one pair of shorts in the laundry.  Since I do a load of laundry nearly every day, it hasn't been too much of an issue as it turns out.


I sold this rocking chair and I moved it outside so the people could come pick it up that day, so the boys got cuddly in it one last time before we parted with it.


Now that all of our stuff is gone, we have over a month with temporary furniture and the bare essentials.  Judah didn't seem to fully understand that we were moving for good.  A week after they took our stuff, we were talking about his best friend at German kindergarten and how he was going to miss Judah a lot.  Judah suddenly exclaims,"What?  We're leaving forever?!!"  Not sure how he missed this in all the conversations we've had about this move.  I guess he just thought it was another trip to Texas, but I'm not sure what he was thinking about all our stuff going along for a trip to Texas.

No comments: