Friday, June 28, 2019

A Birthday Girl and Her Bird

The day after Drew's First Holy Communion, was Genevieve's birthday.  While she was at school we pulled out the bird cage we bought for her bird and decorated her bedroom door with birds and notes.  I made a sign to hang in the cage that said "A parakeet coming to a bird cage near you."  We had he come up stairs to surprise her after she and Daddy were home.  She was so happy because she was really not sure if we were getting her one or not.  I wanted her to come to the store with me to help pick one out and I wanted it to be after final exams when we actually brought the bird home.

This is my most recent favorite picture of Genna!

I got the idea to decorate her door because they decorate lockers at school when it's someone's birthday.  It may be a new tradition!


Fast forward one week and we went to the pet store that I had been told about that focuses more on birds.  We talked to the guy that worked there and asked a bunch of questions.  He even agreed to work for the next two weeks with the bird she picked out until we returned.


Fast forward another two weeks and school was out!  The day after, we went back and she was ready to come home with us.  Genevieve picked a name too.  Hyacinth.  It is a character in the book I am currently reading aloud to all the kids, The Vanderbeekers of 421st St., and hyacinto means blue in Latin.  Turns out she is living up to the character's name and is also very timid.  I call her a Nervous Nellie.  She didn't eat for 36 hours when she got home with us.

Let me introduce Hyacinth!







My secret for training parakeets is to put them inside your shirt.  It calms them down and gains their trust.  It definitely helps to calm her down to start off a session with a few minutes cuddling inside someone's shirt.

No comments: