These have been on my "to sew" list literally since Isaac was a baby. They weren't that hard to make, but in the end it took some planning and real dedication to complete the project. First, I had to order the plastic sheets online. Then I had to cut everything, plan fabrics, and sew the top pieces altogether. Then you sew on the back, leaving a small hole to pour in the plastic beads (I used plastic clear pony beads.) I had to find all the little things to search for in the bag and put them in. Of course, then I realized that I should make the tags before putting them in. I took them out and made tags using clip art and doing some drawings where I couldn't find clip art. Next I sewed the plastic over the tags, punched a hole, threaded a ribbon, and put the ribbon in to the hole in the bag to sew it up and be done with that. I made four at one time because I knew I would have a hard time getting myself to start the process all over again once real school is underway.
|I have the names of the kids they are for on three of them because I ran out of the right letters for the fourth. I put foam letters in the bags to "spy" as well. On the fourth one, I just put in the letters, A, B, and C.|
|The Backs of the Bags|
Brian thought the safety pin was a bad move since he thinks a kid could open it and it would poke through. I kinda didn't think of that at all, so we'll see. Brian recommended that I leave it out in the future. :) Maybe I should sew a warning on it or something. Just think of it as a German toy. They have all kinds of dangerous toys over there.