Thursday, January 14, 2010

Rome: Day 5

We took the Metro out to St. John of Lateran which is a little on the outskirts of Rome. This is Peter's high altar.


In my opinion, the Scala Santa was ranked in the top five spiritually moving things we did or saw in Rome. (Obviously, Pope Benedict XVI's blessing our children was number one, and seeing the scourging pillar was in the top five too.) At first, I looked at the people going up on their knees and thought, "What! How am I going to get up there with the kids anyways? And, plus, doesn't that hurt?" I can be kind of a wuss at times, and I had just fallen on the stairs in our apartment the night before on my knee while carrying Isaac and our dinner. So I had a big bruise on my knee cap. But the funny thing is I had just been meditating earlier this same day (while walking from one place to another) about how minor pains should not be shied away from and avoided at all costs necessarily, but offered up as a small sacrifice for Jesus to join with His much greater sufferings. I caught myself and decided I wanted to do it even if it hurt. The girls had to go potty right at this very moment. So Brian (my husband of such faith and devotion to God who truly rarely complains about such minor pains) said he would go up with Isaac in the backpack (all 30 lbs of him!) while I took the girls to find a restroom. Then when I returned, he took the girls and Isaac outside so I could prayerfully make my way up these steps. For those of you who do not know what the Scala Santa (Holy Stairs) is, they are the actual steps Jesus took when walking up to meet Pontius Pilate. St. Helena, Constantine's mother, went to Jerusalem in the 4th century and brought back many of the items related to Jesus, as well as other important relics. These were the steps that lead to Pilot's residence where He stood trial. They lead to the Sancta Sanctorum, which was the personal chapel of the early popes. The church which houses the Scala Sancta was build on ground brought from Mount Calvary in Jerusalem. They have been covered in wood, but there are glass covered holes to see the original steps where Christ's blood fell and the sides are glass covered, revealing the deeply grooved steps where thousands of pilgrims traversed the steps on their knees before they were protectively encased in wood. Amazing! I prayed for my husband, each of my children, and for the children that I have yet to meet and hope to have one day as I went up.

One of the holes at the top of the steps where His blood fell and marking the spot where He stood before Pilot.


Santa Croce in Gerusalemm had many relics and all were encased in these monstrances, behind a glass, and behind a big private altar. I was disappointed that I couldn't really see them. Brian had seen them on his last trip to Rome before we were married, and said they had been rearranged and moved since then. He got a better look at them before. They are: a piece of the True Cross, the part of sign over the cross that says "Nazarene" in Hebrew, Latin and Greek, doubting Thomas' finger bone which he put in Jesus' side, thorns from the crown of thorns, and nails which pierced Christ on the cross.


The Shroud of Turin

Trevi Fountain is very beautiful. We all threw a coin over our shoulder with our backs facing the fountain, even Isaac. I had the best panini ever right around the corner from the fountain.


Hannah throwing her coin

Genna throwing her coin





Isaac's nap times were spent here in the backpack.

My wonderful, strong husband toting all the kids


We also visited Santa Maria sopra Minerva. While browsing in the gift shop, some nuns gave the children holy cards which was so nice. We got quite the attention with our three little ones all over Rome, but especially among the nuns which were everywhere, of course. In general, we get stares and weird looks in Europe for having more than one or two kids. But Italy was different. So many people talked to the kids and told us we had a bella familia. Isaac got quite a lot of attention. I swear half of Rome knows his name know. Everyone asked his name and would talk to him and try to make him smile. Several men said they wished he was their very own grandson. It warmed my heart to have so many people so very happy that we have been open to life.

The girls lit candles and I asked who they were praying for. Hannah prayed for Uncle Kent, and Genna prayed for Hannah. Then Genna turns to Hannah and says, "Why didn't you pray for me?"
"Well, I can pray for you and Uncle Kent," Hannah amended. Genna was, of course, satisfied with this and they held hands and skipped off together. I hope and pray they are always this close.




A Christmas market in Piazza Navona


We went to the Pantheon next and then met a friend of Brian's (a Jesuit priest) for dinner. I was a bit concerned about being out that late with the kids so tired already, but it was a lovely time. The girls contentedly colored the whole time which I expected. But to my great surprise, Isaac was a little angel at dinner, only getting tired and irritable at the very end while Brian finished up his coffee. Praise God because the next day, Isaac was (How shall I say?) done with Rome.

No comments: