Saturday, August 19, 2017

Two Days in Prague

This was to be our last vacation with our friends that we've been on so many European vacations with because they are moving back stateside soon.  So we first met them in Prague on Saturday afternoon.  We met them for lunch first and then we headed out to get ice cream in a "donut"cone and see a war memorial.  Then we went to Saturday vigil Mass at Our Lady Victorious where the Infant of Prague is kept.






Waiting for Mass, outside the church
The Infant of Prague
After Mass we had reservations at a Mexican restaurant called Cantina.  It was the best Mexican I've had in Europe.  It was delicious!  The food was divine for the entire Prague stay, so forgive me if I gush a little here and there.





The last time I was in Prague was in May or June of 2008 when I was pretty pregnant with Isaac.  I remember it being very hot then, and I was unprepared for how hot it would be this time.  Especially, if you consider that it had been pants and sweater weather in Germany the whole week prior to this trip.  We traveled slightly north east and the weather must have just flipped a switch because it was very hot.  Add that to a lot of uphill walks and the kids having no adjustment to the heat, and they were not as happy campers in between sites and meals.

The second day was even hotter than the first.  We started the day out right though with a later start and a brunch at a "fancy" restaurant.  We had fancy coffees, hot chocolates (melted chocolate with a little milk), croissant sandwiches, pancakes, eggs, bacon, and more.  The children were well pleased with this meal.  Then we did some site seeing and shopping.



Astronomical Clock
A chandelier and stunning ceiling...as I was standing here staring at it, Hannah came to tell me this was a Protestant church, but the design and all the Catholic stuff left me not convinced.

Look at this organ!
Then we went walking to a beer garden for some drinks and let the children play in a field next to us.  It was a long walk, but Bob wanted to get down and try to walk some of it.


And then this happened!  THE Best Hot Dog in the World!  I kid you not.  I wasn't even very hungry, but when we passed this street food stand, I HAD to try it.  A delicious hot dog with chopped beef, sauteed onions, cheese, and a jalapeno sauce.  My only wish was that my dad could be there to eat one with me.  I took this picture for him and sent it to him immediately.  He and I are real hot dog lovers and this one takes the cake.  His response was, "That's my kind of dawg!"
After our beer garden and hot dog stand, we went on a huge hike to get to a brewery for dinner.  I know that seems weird, but when you've seen your sights and got your souvenirs for people, the only thing left on the to do list is eat and drink more of the local flavor.  I shared a hamburger (also delicious) with Isaac since I had just eaten that amazing hot dog.  Although the walk was so long and steep and hot that I had worked up a little bit of an appetite again.  You wouldn't believe the amount of water the kids drank at dinner!

Bobby at dinner, he was tired.

Being silly might wake me up!

All the kids lined up!



Notice the beautiful sky, while standing on this hill talking to a Canadian and an American, it quickly changed to a dark gray.  We did not make it back without the rain starting up, but our friends' hotel was closer so we rode out the worst of it there and then headed home kind of late.

On our walk home after the rain went to a drizzle.
The next day we all woke up and went towards Cesky Krumlov, the rafting city that we went to last year to meet up again for another adventure.

No comments: