Sunday, October 14, 2018

My Pirate

Judah's surgery day for the removal of his stye/chalazean finally arrived.  The doctor told us that he had to keep the patch on his eye for one hour after we went home, and Judah came up with an idea.  He wanted to wear his pirate shirt that day so he could be a pirate which I thought was clever and precious, but I'm biased.


He was very groggy all day.  He wasn't at all after the hernia surgery, so this was surprising.

The night before the surgery I realize I had no plan for Bobby that day.  I was going to leave Drew and Isaac at home, Brian was taking the girls to school, but what about Bob?  Brian convinced me to just take him and hope that it wasn't a problem.  In Germany it was always stated before that you couldn't bring children if you wanted to be able to go into the pre-op or the post-op rooms.  Since they said nothing about it, we figured we'd just try it.  They had no problem with it as it turns out, but it was a really early morning and a lot of time to keep him occupied.

I was up at 4:15am and we were out the door at 4:50am.  The surgery didn't start until 7:30am.  We played cards, read stories, and colored while waiting for the surgery to begin in between answering questions and signing consent forms.  When it was time to take him back, he got all clingy and scared for about a minute.  Then the nurse told him he could walk back or ride in the wheeled bed and help her find the rainbow, and he was done being scared.  Like a flip was switched and it was showtime.

The scab is pretty hard to resist pulling it off as it appears at this point to be mostly attached to his eye lashes, but I shall refrain.  Doctor's orders, and all that.  I figure in this house it's only a matter of time.

Bobby ate some breakfast and played quietly at my feet during the surgery waiting period while I read my novel.  In Post-op, they put me in a recliner and let me hold him.  I read them a longer picture book that I had saved while both boys got popcycles.  They took out the IV and we were on our way.  He's done great with recovery and never once accepted pain medication when I offered.  He can be a tough one.

Random cuteness here from the dentist the day before the surgery.

No comments: