Saturday, April 17, 2010

A conversation with my daughter


So Hannah and I were shopping together in Holland and she sees a few pictures of girls dressed immodestly. In Europe, this is common since they are even less concerned about modesty here than in the US. So the conversation went like this:

Hannah: When will I be old enough to watch Hannah Montana?

Me: Well, I have never seen Hannah Montana, so you may never be old enough. Some things are not Holy and pleasing to God and even though other people may watch them, we will choose not to.

Hannah: Yeah, like those girls who don't dress appropriately! I am so sick of seeing that! Why can't they just wear a bathing suit under their inappropriate clothes to cover them up more?

Me: (smiling) I don't know why, Sweetie.

Then she changes topics...

Hannah: When I grow up and become a hair dresser and nail painter, I am going to have to do them on different days since they are not at the same place.

(When we got our hair cut recently, she realized that at the new mall the spa and salon were in different places.)

Me: Well, sometimes they have them all in one place. Do you know what I wanted to be when I was growing up? A dolphin trainer!

Hannah: What? And you became a mom instead! Why?

Me: Because God called me to be a wife and mother when I was older.

Hannah: How did He do that if you are down here on earth and He is up in heaven?

Me: Jesus is in our hearts and He speaks to our hearts.

Hannah: And you chose this! Being a mom is such hard work!

Me: (smiling and wondering how she is getting such a negative view of my vocation) I love being a mom, Hannah. All jobs are hard work. And I love each of you so much that it makes it all worth it.

Hannah: Not all jobs are hard. Playing isn't hard work.

Oh my!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

love it!

Kelle said...

Then you are going to love tomorrow's post too! I am willing to bet it reminds you of Mariana. :)