Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More Gardening: the kids plant vegetables


We finally decided our seedlings were ready for planting. Hannah and Genna planted a tomato and a cucumber plant. Isaac planted two more cucumber plants. Daddy will take care of them while we are in Texas and then they will be helping take care of their plants when we return. I also planted their potato plant that we grew for and experiment in the Lowe's bucket with the bottom cut out. I planted it about a month ago, and it is doing really well. I planted our basil that we started from seeds and some dandelions on all four corners that are supposed to help keep the bugs away. I doubt they have any effect on the ant problem we have out there.


The girls' tomato plants


The girls' cucumber plants


Potato plant


This is really an unexciting picture since these berry bushes are just sticks right now, but I am hopeful that they will grow and blossom into bushes covered with raspberries and blackberries.


This is my attempt at growing tomatoes upside down. I read how to make one of these online instead of buying the $10 or more plastic kit. So with just a piece of newspaper, an old hanging basket, some dirt and a tomato seedling, I was able to make this. I hope it works and that Brian can keep it watered while we are gone. I have to admit that I don't have the best history with hanging plants, so this may be a long shot. I am better when stuff is in the ground.


This is part of my herb garden hanging right outside my kitchen window, off the deck. I also have sage and oregano (not shown) on the other side of the box. I couldn't get a good picture of it all. I am hoping these basil seedlings can make it through all these thunderstorms. They seem so delicate.


Now we water and we wait.

1 comment:

Rich said...

I still have the garden Brian helped build. It is a dill patch now, so I can make sauerkraut without breaking the bank on dill (it's highway robbery if you buy it at the store!!).