Monday, May 16, 2011

Speck's Nursery, Under Construction

I have not had the burst of energy in my second trimester that I usually get this time around. Some friends have said it is because I have more kids to contend with, but I think it's the homeschooling. Homeschooling sucks it all out of me at the beginning of each day and then I am done. As of Thursday I officially began my third trimester, and I have really only had a few days with energy and motivation to get things done, above and beyond the call of duty (or everyday chores.) Isaac's transition out of the crib has forced me to start working on the nursery. I now have all the furniture arranged and baby stuff in the room. Here is Speck's bare bones nursery...


As you may have noticed the light behind the crib is a safety hazard. This room is the only room without main lighting, but it has an outlet that is connected to a switch. I just need to find an alternative to this floor standing light.

Here is the other view of the room with the closet door open. We are really tight on space in here since I have to keep our guest bed in here as well.


Now I need to get to work on the decor. I always base the kid's rooms on a famous artist and a few of their paintings. This time I am thinking I only need one painting since the room is so tiny. Here's the one I fancy, Port St. Tropez by Paul Signac.


After locating a print of this painting and framing it, I think I may use Isaac's old bedding since it fits my German crib and is neutral in color. Then I might add this personalized clock, embroider a few sailboat pillows like these, make a sailboat quilt, make or buy a sailboat mobile, and find some solid black-out curtains in one of the colors from this painting (red, blue, or yellow). I may add a little rug if I found one I liked, but that is pretty much all I plan to do. Oh, I almost forgot! I want to include my Papa Boat's painting of a sailboat that I have in Isaac's room on a shelf right now.

Here is a sailboat nursery that I really like and has inspired me a bit. Just don't expect mine to look the same. It is a jumping off point. That's all.

And, no, we do not have a real name for Speck yet! All you dying to know what it is can blame that on my husband. I have to start working on his Christmas stocking soon which starts with embroidering the name on the top, so the pressure is on. But for now, he is still Speck.

No comments: