Saturday, January 20, 2018

A Snow Induced Sacrifice

This post seems to have gotten lost and is out of order.  The day that Nanna left, Brian had to take her to the airport.  It was a Sunday morning and so I took all the kids and went to church without him despite the flurries that started coming down and made me hesitate after getting stuck in the snow the Sunday before.  Brian was going to go to Mass during Genna's basketball game later in the day and so I felt it was our only chance to go without changing all our plans, etc.  Plus, if it did start sticking, I was thinking going later would be worse.  All this led to me going to the 9am Mass...

And then we came out of Mass to a blanket of white.  My van was covered and I scraped it off with a tiny ice scraper (all I could find in the van) as Hannah checked my messages to see if Genna still had a basketball game.  Alas, it had been cancelled, so I made the decision to go get gas which was across the street to see how the roads were on post.  I could see they were plowing the roads near me.

At the gas station I asked people how they heard the roads were off post.  They said that it had been coming down too fast and it would take the plows awhile to get around.  I had several friends at Mass offer for me to come to their house which was significantly closer than our house.  We live 45 mins away through back roads because of our detour.  However, after getting gas I messaged those friends and they had all had trouble getting home in their smaller vans.  Our friends that drive a big van like ours had gotten stuck in their village.  I made the command decision to go to the food court and hang out until the snow had topped and the plows could catch up.

This is us sitting in the food court watching the snow.  It would have been much more fun for the kids if we had some warmer clothes to play int he snow in, instead of our Mass clothes!
It was a most boring Sunday, wasting a perfectly good snow day inside, but at least we had food and toys/books that we had in the van.  We didn't risk leaving until around 3pm.



When we got home, we parked the van at the bottom of our steep part of our hill and didn't even try to get up it as it was never going to happen at this point.  There had been a few questionable hills on the way home that I barely made it to the top of, and I wasn't going to push my luck.

Brian had been hanging out because they cancelled the Mass that he was planning to go to.  The kids immediately got on their snowsuits and gloves, etc and went in the front to play while Brian shoveled the driveway and the sidewalk.


Brian ended up going to an evening German Mass.  The kids made a cave and slide with the shoveled snow and played until it was dark.  Then they came in and had hot chocolate with marshmallows.  Whew!  What a day!


Luckily, this was our last big snow until present day and we got 4 new tires the very next week with actual traction!

No comments: