Monday, January 8, 2018

Lichtenburg, Christmas Market #4: Snowy Edition

We started the day with Mass and then swung by the Landstuhl Christmas market to pick up food for lunch on our way to Genevieve's basketball game.  (Hannah's game had to be missed because it was earlier and further away.)  After her game, we drove 45 minutes straight to a castle to go to the Christmas market.  However, by the time we got there it was pretty snowy and they were not letting people park at the castle on the hill.  They were doing shuttles in a "bus" that was smaller than our van.  They only held 8 people each and the line was really long.  After standing in line for about 15 minutes I start thinking this is a really bad idea.  I don't mind going out in the cold with the kids if we have a quick exit strategy, but if the line to get on the shuttle to go up is an hour or so long, then it will be close to the same coming down.  This didn't sound like a good plan to me.  Brian insisted on going since we'd driven all that way.  After a 20 minute discussion, finally I took all the littles and Hannah with me and went home.  My plan was to come back and get them after I got the kids set up for dinner.


However, that plan was changed when I drove all the way home on the snowy roads and then got stuck going up the hill to our house.  I managed to get out of the way, pulling over to the side and ooching up as far as I could manage so it looked like traffic could pass me.  We got out and walked the rest of the way, but a person driving by insisted that my van was not enough out of the way (though he got by just fine) so I said I'd come back and shovel myself out without the kids.


A good friend offered to send her husband to pick up Brian, Nanna, Genevieve, and Isaac.  I grabbed a shovel and went back to the van.  I was really close to the top and then it would be all down hill, so I decided I'd shovel myself tracks up to the top.  A neighbor came out though and salted the road in front of my tires.  I was then able to drive up the rest of the way and made it home.  The whole thing was very stressful and a mess.  I wish, wish, wish, this van was better suited for winter weather driving.

No comments: