Sunday, September 2, 2007

Bernkastel-Kues Weinefest

Yesterday we went to the Bernkastel-Kues Weinefest with some friends of ours. The Germans really like to party. On any given weekend, there are many different festivals. This one was a little bit bigger and more famous than most. It is an annual event on Labor Day weekend. They have carnival-like rides for the kids, food, wine, and fireworks.

Even the rides are different from in the states because any age kid can ride any ride, and they do not have railings around the rides to keep people from getting hurt by getting too close. No litigation here! Hannah rode in a little car on a track, but since there were no seat belts I didn't let Genna do that one. There were pony rides as well. Babies were riding with their parents walking beside them. Genna was petting the ponies and saying, "Neigh." So I gave it a shot with Genna, but I think she thought I was leaving her and started to cry. So Hannah rode with her daddy beside her, while Genna and I cheered her on from the side. Hannah loved it!

The food was great! We had Currywurst und Pommes (sausage with curry ketchup and french fries), Spielbraten (a pork loin sandwich), and Bratkartoffeln mit Champignons (fried potatoes with mushrooms). It was all delicious!


Then came the fireworks! It was by far the best fireworks I have ever seen! I was almost blinded by the lights. We sat on blankets in front of a river, and on the other side was a hug hill with a castle on it (in the picture above). They lit the castle up, played some music, and did a reenactment of a historic battle via fireworks. It was beautiful! However, I have to say the best part for me was watching the girls' faces during the fireworks. Hannah was sitting in her daddy's lap and cheering. She would stand up and shout out the colors and then sit back down! She clapped, yelled, "Yay!" and had a huge smile on her face the whole time. Genna sat in my lap and stared at the lights, holding on very tight to my arm. She actually almost fell asleep during the show.

We got home very late, but it was a lot of fun!

No comments: