Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Happy Mommy Moment

We finished up taking down Christmas decorations today. Once again the girls were a tremendous help! Hannah also sorted the laundry for me. Now, I just need to teach her how to spot stains and set them aside, and I will be set! Anyway, I was carrying a big box up the stairs and Hannah saw me. The following conversation ensued:

Hannah: Mommy, be careful.

Me: I will, Sweetie. Thanks for worrying about me.

Hannah: Your angel will help you on the steps, Mommy. So, it's OK.

Me: That's right my guardian angel will protect me on the steps.

That was a "Happy Mommy Moment." These sorts of things coming from Hannah really make my day because, I have to admit, she really worries me sometimes. She's compassionate and motherly, and she certainly has the knowledge needed to be a faithful Catholic with her incredible memory. However, she's also smart-mouthed, thinks of herself first, stubborn, and is attracted to the "popular" older kids. I just see problems in the future with these character aspects, and I see major clashing between her and myself in the adolescent years. I am doing my best to steer her in the right direction and teach her to choose right over wrong, but I fear she is going to be one of those kids that has to learn the hard way. Prayer, prayer, prayer! Between teaching, guiding, and being a good example, in addition to all the other stuff that has to be done, being a mother is no easy job!

No comments: