Monday, March 17, 2008

What goes around comes around!

And, boy, does it! I don't know how many of you know this about me, but I panic and overreact when I think something might have happened. It's hard to explain without a quick real life story. When I was a little girl I was walking when I suddenly realized I had just walked over glass. Naturally, I started screaming bloody murder because I was sure that if I walked over the glass it must have gone into my foot. Didn't mother always tell me that you have to be careful around glass because it will cut you if you walk on it? My mom frantically comes to my rescue (as I am sorry to say happened all too often at this young age) and takes off my shoe to see if there is something in my foot. Well, of course, there isn't because usually glass doesn't go through the rubber soles of tennis shoes, which my mother then explained to me!

Well, this is just one of many stories my family could tell on me and my crazy panicky overreactions. So, now it all comes back around full circle with my very own daughter, Hannah. She gave me a heart attack today...again! You see no matter how many times I tell myself to take her screams lightly (this is okay only because she also inherited my overly cautiousness as well), I always fall into my own panicky overreactions. Here's how it went down today:

Hannah is quietly playing on the third floor while I prepare dinner. I call her to come down "very carefully" for dinner.

I hear a couple of thumps followed by screams like only a child who has fallen down tile stairs could give off!

I run up the stairs as fast as I can panicking along the way, afraid of what I will find, only to find Hannah sitting in the middle of the top staircase still screaming.

Well, it turns out that her bag of toys that she just picked up had fallen over upstairs while she was coming down, and the noise had scared her.

Wow! And I already had the trip to the ER planned! Like mother, like daughter!

No comments: