Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Dentist

The girls went to the dentist today. Last time I tried the dentist with just Hannah, she (the biggest talker ever to have lived) wouldn't even open her mouth to say "Hi." However, this time went much better! Hannah sat in the chair, opened her mouth, chatted the dentist up a bit in between mouth openings, and did it all with a smile! Yea for Hannah! She has come a long way with her doctor and dentist trip behavior. In fact, she is looking forward to getting a shot at the doctor later this month! Strange child!

Genna was a model patient for her first official dental appointment! She sat in the chair, leaned back, and opened her mouth with a series of "Aaaah's" until the dentist was finished. The dentist said she has a posterior cross bite which is what her daddy has. Brian's, unfortunately, was not caught early enough and is having major and painful things done to his mouth at 29 years old. They said if you fix this around age 5 that it is easy to fix with a palatal extender retainer and not a problem later on. I'll have to talk to her godfather (who is a dentist) about this one to make sure. Anyway, the dentist left the room a minute after the exam and Genna tells me, "I sit in the chair, and I say 'Aaaah' and the dentist looks in my mouth." When I told her it was time to go, she just kept saying, "One more time again!" I had to really talk her into getting out of that cool chair! The dentist said it looks like she is a future dentist! I am sure that will make her godfather happy!

We will be gone for the next week at Brian's vet conference, so I probably won't be posting until we return! If I happen to have any daily blog checkers, you can take a week off! Tschüss!

2 comments:

Rich said...

She's a future dentist, eh? Tell her she's got a spot reserved in my practice as an associate the day she graduates from dental school.

As far as the crossbite, I had that as a kid, too. They put me in the same thing. It's called a rapid palatal expander. What it does is it nudges the jaw growth in the right direction before the jaw bones fuse at the "sutures"(kinda like a fontanel on the forehead, but this is in the roof of the mouth). It's a little annoying as a kid because you get peanut butter stuck up there, and mom has to turn a little key in it every week to keep the expansion up(it creates a little pressure for a few hours or so). It's no biggee.

Kelle said...

Thanks Rich! Good to know! Thanks for always keeping your goddaughter in your prayers too! Genna is so blessed with great godparents!

Kelle