Monday, May 5, 2008

Paper Doll Party for Genna

The invitations
I just used my scrapbook supplies to make this invitation. I used an angel cookie cutter to base the template off of for the paper doll pattern.

Dinner
Brian was the master grilling machine and made bratwurst and hot dogs for everyone. I just had some chips and homemade salsa, veggies and dip, and a fruit tray available. And I made some sherbet punch to drink along with the regular sodas, water, and beer. We had just enough of everything except we had quite a bit of hot dogs and cake left, and one large family canceled at the last minute because they were sick. Hannah always says, "When Jesus blesses the food, suddenly there's enough for everyone!" She got that from the miracle of feeding the 5000, but she seems to think it happens every time we pray over the food.

The cake
I made a double layer 8 inch square chocolate cake with a chocolate glaze. Then I cut out a paper doll pattern similar to the invitation template and glued it to wax paper. (I basically laminated it with wax paper using nontoxic Elmers glue.) Then, after letting the glaze harden a bit, I placed the wax papered template on the cake and sprinkled powdered sugar all around it. I got this idea online. It turned out nicely, but when we blew out the candles there was a cloud of powdered sugar as you can imagine! :) Genna loved the cake and the punch! The girls are pretty much milk and water drinkers so the punch was an extra special treat!


The craft-dressing your own paper doll to take home

Genna's is the one in the purple and Hannah's is in the yellow!
I drew and cut out dolls on card board and then drew clothes outfits for them all so the kids could glue them on. I made hair for the girls, but I figured the boys wouldn't be interested in this craft long enough for details. So they were bald, and I made sports outfits for the boys also. And I was right, by the way...the boys could only handle a few minutes of this before running off to do boy things. The girls, on the other hand, loved it! Genna colored on hers the longest of anyone after gluing on the outfit.

The party favors-a paper doll set to color and keep (plus the usual candy and stickers)

Here are a couple of the boy bags!
I printed off paper dolls and cut them out so the kids could have their own doll and clothes to color and play with. Again making boy paper dolls for the boys. (The cutting out took many nights to do.)

Some of the friends

Hannah barely left the new baby's side, as usual! I keep telling her we'll have one soon enough, but she just loves to take care of all the babies!


The Highlight-the birthday girl, herself!


What an angel! Thank you God for our Genevieve Marie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look great in those darling yellow tops!
Happy birthday, Genna!