Thursday, August 5, 2010

Magnetic Trays

This is going to double as a car toy for the long drive and then as a Montessori tray for our home school room which will be it's final destination. The trays are just cheap cookie sheets that came in a set of three at Walmart. The first one has pom poms hot glued to magnets (I used a magnetic strip and cut it up to fit the pom poms.) Certainly not the most exciting craft I have ever done, but, hopefully, it will be enjoyable to the kids. They can sort by color or make shapes, designs, pictures and use their imagination.

I found this magnetic paper doll set at a local store and decided that they didn't stick as strong to the background scene as to the cookie sheet. I taped the background onto the other cookie sheet so the girls could play on one tray and then store the dolls and clothes on the other.


My plan is to add other magnet sets to trade out. One idea is to print out and have the girls color Thomas trains or construction trucks, laminate them, and glue on magnets. And then, of course, we have multiple fridge magnet sets of letters and numbers to add.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great idea! I bet they will love these!

Becca said...

This is so funny. Caleb and I just got back from the store where I bought a ton of pom pom balls and magnets to make these! And now I see your post! Does the hot glue keep the magnets on safely? I definitely don't want them falling off.
Have you seen this list of magnet mosaic pictures? You could just print one out, put it on the cookie sheet and have them fill it in. There's also a blank page to create your own. They might be too easy for the girls though.
http://makinglearningfun.com/themepages/magnetmosaics.html

almudena said...

now that's something i can do!! yay! i will try it out with isabella soon! :)