Saturday, September 4, 2010

My New, Old Vanity

This is an old chest of drawers that I found for $5 when we first got married. We have been using it in our guest room since graduating to matching bedroom furniture, but we don't have room for it there now. We tried it in our closet for extra storage, but it blocked part of our access to our clothes and so I was looking for another use for it. I have stuff piled on top of it in the picture, but it was really old looking, especially on the top. I am a little attached to it so I did not want to get rid of it.


I had a chest that I didn't know what to do with, and I needed a vanity and had yet to find one that wasn't ridiculously overpriced. Ah ha! I'll just have my husband turn this into a vanity! (I don't do circular saws.)

Had husband take off the legs and take out two drawers (only two because I want the storage more than the leg room.) Added an old mirror that we got for free at garage sale in Germany. Then used some Old English to clean up the wood a bit. Put my mom's old jewelry box on it that I talked her into giving me this summer (a little Old English for it too.) And, ta dah!


I have just been super sentimental lately and this new space feeds that need just perfectly. I added some pieces saved from my childhood and a few things my grandmothers and my father gave me and somethings my hubby gave me, as well. Now I just need a couple pictures from my children and I will have it all! Oh, and a chair! Right now I am using a card table chair for it while I search for a lone old chair in a garage sale or something. As I mentioned, I don't have room for my legs to fit underneath, but i just sit sideways. The main reason I need this is because my varicose veins are so painful when I stand for an extended period of time. Therefore, sitting down for this particular daily task will be such a relief.

No comments: