Thursday, April 7, 2011

Art and Music

V week was a week full of art and music and no science or history (except for art history, I guess.) We first read a few books about Vincent Van gogh. Then did several projects based on these readings and his paintings and style.

#1 Draw a portrait. This was the one they chose from my books that had multiple projects. In retrospect, this was a little above their heads as far as ability goes. Genna did a self-portrait, but I guess I didn't get a picture of it. Hannah drew me after having a melt down because Genna wouldn't sit still enough for her.


#2 Paint a sky scene. They loved this so much that they did two each. Genna ended up copying Hannah, I think.




#3 Coloring Page from a Van gogh coloring book I have.



Then we read about violins. Genna currently wants to be a musician when she grows up, so she enjoyed this. I found a couple of really good stories about violins, A Bat Boy and His Violin and Across the Alley. We skimmed a couple nonfiction books as well to get an idea of what it takes to learn to play the violin. Isaac even found two sticks and started "playing the violin" with them the other day.


No comments: