Wednesday, November 2, 2011

7 weeks!

This week Drew has been easier to keep awake after a day time feeding with the exception of the noon time where he doesn't make it long before falling asleep wherever he is. I put him in the Woombie if this happens which wakes him a little and then he goes back to sleep with a little fussing. His cry/fuss patterns while falling asleep have been the same this week. He has had some days where he cries or fusses in the middle of naps and night time, but it doesn't actually wake up. By the time I get to his room he is asleep again or perhaps he was crying in his sleep. So I have started to wait a couple minutes if it is a fussy cry and not a mad or urgent cry before going to get him up to make sure he is really awake. I have not figured out a place for the video monitor and haven't needed it really as of yet. He is pretty predictable right now and the only time he struggles to sleep is in the evening as he always has. As for night sleep, he has been waking earlier, between 1 and 2am a lot this week. This caused a few nights of reverting back to two feedings a night. I do not think that he really needs this second feeding because he doesn't nurse as well, but he usually has a full poopy diaper when I go get him so this may be the cause of the waking up. When he wakes only once during the night he is getting a full 8 feedings a day which should be plenty for this nearly 13 lb baby.

He was happy hanging out on the blanket downstairs in the family room and in the homeschool room in the basement several times this week which is a big improvement. He still prefers my room and his room, but we are working on it. He is starting to enjoy looking at toys/mobiles a little more as well.

Here he is while I am trying to keep him awake (and failing!) and fix lunch. at the same time.


He has not been a big fan of this swing, so we are working on getting him used to it. He did better in it this week. I had it in the basement thinking I would need it during school, but he sleeps so much during the day right now that I need it more in the dining room/living room which is right next to the kitchen. The evenings seem to be a better time to use it. I have to keep my eye on him so he doesn't fall asleep in here though because he usually has this 10-15 minutes wake up time that he will go back to sleep if he is in his bed (or car seat if we are out,) but usually not in the swing.

The last few days he has been waking up before 7am (the time I was waking him up.) I think this is in correlation with when my husband opens the garage door. It vibrates the floor of the upstairs a bit and always wakes me up. I may test this theory out. I have no problem with him waking up at 6 or 6:30am once he is sleeping through the night, but right now I was hoping he would sleep until 7am to get that extra sleep before we start back to our 8am daily Mass attendance.

No comments: