Saturday, November 19, 2011

Busy Week

Sadly, we did not get as many full school days in as I wanted to this week. Thursday we had dentist appointments for all three big kids. My favorite thing about our dentist here is that the office is super small and we are usually the only ones there. So I can make a palate for Drew in the waiting room and pop my head around the corner every now and then to check on the current patient. The receptionist called ahead to confirm the appointment and called our appointment the "Smith Family Event." I thought that was funny. They were all excellent patients as usual. We used this as an opportunity to do a Health lesson on teeth and dentists. The girls read teeth books all week and then at the appointment I had them do word searches and scrambles I found on a dental website. They all enjoyed themselves much more than I ever do at the dentist.

Hannah had a field trip with American Heritage Girls to the Fire Station his week. She has also been looking forward to her birthday party tomorrow. We took a day off today to get ready for the party. Although, I have to admit, I am really not doing much for this party. I almost feel guilty since I usually put much more effort into the kids parties. Hannah's 7th birthday party is at Michaels, the craft store, and I talked her into cupcakes instead of a cake this year. I am suddenly having trouble downloading my pictures so I will be back with details on the party when I get it fixed.

Genna did much better with school this week. Her complaining has stopped for now. She is a fast learner when you dole out clear consequences. She finished her kindergarten math book this week. She has read almost 70 books aloud to me or another adult. She is getting close to her 100 books and will get to go on a date with Daddy.

Isaac got another tick this week. The head is still lodged in his back. Yuck! It had to have come from our backyard since that is the only place he has been outside this week. In between showering me with cuddles and telling me I am beautiful, he has been a bit of a stinker lately. Really it's been since he turned three. He's had several meltdowns this week. I think he is having trouble calming himself and handling disappointment. I am trying some different ways to help him learn to calm down. I also need to start identifying the warning signals to get him under control before the total meltdown begins. That helped a lot with Genna when she was three and had a lot of trouble getting calmed down after she got worked up into a fit. On the bright side, Isaac is taking naps again!

Drew gets lots of attention on the blog, so you mostly know what is going on with him. Today, though, he had a REALLY hard day. His hardest day to date. It could be a growth spurt, but I am not sure yet. He barely slept for his naps for the first time ever, and this caused him to be overly tired and very fussy. I am just hoping it doesn't last too long because I miss my happy somewhat predictable baby.

No comments: