Monday, November 21, 2011

Birthday party for my big girl!

Hannah's party this year was an American Girl craft party. Michaels, the craft store, hosted it (very cheaply, I might add) and so it was super easy for me. There were 8 girls there altogether and just a couple moms stayed to help. Due to limited space, siblings didn't come. This included Isaac and Drew. No boys allowed! :) We saved a cupcake for Isaac to help soften the blow of not getting invited to his sister's party. He was fine with it since he got to do "guy stuff" with Dad and Drew.

The craft was the main event. It was to make tiaras for your doll. I asked all the girls to bring their favorite doll to the party. The party planner led the craft, and the moms assisted when needed. It was definitely the calmest party we've ever had with all the little girls working on their tiaras.



Then it was snack time. The girls munched on cheese and crackers, Dorritos, and fruit. We also had apple cider and lemonade to drink.

I think I mentioned before that I talked Hannah out of a big cake for her party so that we could do cupcakes and decorate them as part of the party. I promised her a mini cake on her actual birthday next Saturday. I should have taken a picture of the cupcake display before I handed them out to be sprinkled and such. I forgot to photograph the food table completely.

We sung her Happy Birthday!

Then they ate the yummy cupcakes. One little girl was so proud of her cupcake piled high with every kind and color of sprinkles, but then decided she didn't actually like the taste of the sprinkles. I told her to just wipe them all off so she could still enjoy the cake.


Time for the gifts! Hannah opened our gift to her first. The shape of the box made her just certain she knew what it was.

And she was right, it was Josephina, her favorite American Girl doll! Genna can't wait until she turns 7 and gets her own American Girl doll. She already has her eye on Marie-Grace.

In the middle of the gift opening the whole group needed to use the potty, and so we had an eventful trip to the bathroom. Two stalls and eight girls meant lots of giggling while they waited their turn.

She opened the presents from her friends and was super thankful to everyone for each special gift. She stopped to hug the giver after each gift. I usually give a mini lecture on how to be grateful and so your appreciation, but I forgot to do that this year. I was pleasantly surprised by how naturally it came to her this year. My baby girl is growing up!


Of course, we had to get a picture of all the girls with their dolls and tiaras!

And the girls insisted on a silly photo too!


We sent the girls home with favor bags full of candy, pencils, trinkets, and homemade lollipops. It was wonderful, and Hannah thanked me a bunch as well. A huge blessing was that Drew made it through the whole party without Daddy having to bring him to me to nurse.

Genna's birthday party is the next on the radar, but it isn't for five more months. However, that doesn't stop us from brainstorming ideas. The one we both like at the moment is a rainbow themed party, but I told her she isn't allowed to turn 6. Absolutely not!

No comments: