Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Sister's Baby Shower

My sister is having a baby boy, named Dylan, in August, and the timing worked out well for me to be able to help throw her a shower with my cousin and sister-in-law.  The theme of my sister's nursery is everything sports so we went with that for the theme of the baby shower too.  Give me a theme and you are in trouble!  My sister-in-law is the same way, so get ready for an overdose of sports.

My sister-in-law made this scoreboard for the entryway.

We hung sports clothes in the doorway.
  

This was our sign in table.  My sister-in-law was in charge of this part.  She had a guest book with a bat pen, the invitation framed, a football piggie bank, and accented with baby socks.
 When people came in we gave them a safety pin to play the don't say "baby" game.  My girls made it their personal mission to win this game and did by tricking people into saying "baby" and collecting 11 pins each.

  
My cousin made this adorable diaper baby with personalized clothing.  I don't know if you can see the baseball pacifier, but it is so cute!
 I forgot to take pictures of the table centerpieces that my sister-in-law made.  And my mom helped make advice cards by writing "DYLAN" down the side on scrapbook 5 x5' paper.  Everyone had these at their table to write a piece of advice for the new mom starting with each letter of his name.

Here is my sister, looking stunning, as usual.

Here is a clothesline for extra decoration.  I made her some sports themed clothing items that we hung here.
I got the idea for this football onesie from my sister-in-law who found this website.
This football onesie was easy to make.  So easy, in fact, I made a bigger one for Drew too.  Drew made a brief appearance at the shower to nurse and he wore his football onesie.
I made this football hat using a crochet pattern I found online.  And yes, Drew now has one also.  Although he hates hats so we will see if he wears it this winter or not.  I found this pattern here.

I embellished this burp cloth by sewing on some fabric left over from the quilt I made Dylan.  I appliqued a felt circle and made it a basketball with some stitching.  Then I hand embroidered the "MVP."

Using left over fabric again and some other complimentary fabric, I embellished this burp cloth with fabric and a "D."

I had this football piece in my stash and used the machine to applique it on this embellished burp cloth.  I also used the machine to embroider "Team Wagner" on it.  I was loosing momentum by this time and running out of time.  It is the first time I have ever used the sewing machine for applique or embroidering.  I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.
Saving the best for last, my favorite...the food!  This football field has asparagus as the goal posts, cucumbers, hummus, and carrot slivers as the 50 yard line markers, broccoli as the grass, bell peppers as the lines, carrots and cherry tomatoes as the players.  My brother-in-lay added a cut piece of an avocado as the football.  I got these ideas here.

           
I made this football field out of vegetables and dips. 




Notice the football sippy cut I found at the last minute.
The fruit tray baseball diamond was super easy.  Grapes were the field, strawberries were the lines where you run the bases (whatever those are called!), and containers of strawberry cream cheese dip were the bases.  I saw this on Little Miss Mama's blog.

Baseball Diamond Fruit Tray
 The cake is usually my favorite part, but not this time.  I was frustrated with how it turned out and had to make a lot of changes when things didn't go the way I had planned.  It still turned out fine, but the design I had for it didn't pull through because I didn't have all my stuff from home, tips and dyes, etc.  Anyway, the plan had been to have the corner squares have footballs and baseballs in them, but some malfunctions in the icings didn't allow that.  So I changed it to dots and added the accent footballs on top.  This cake was inspired from two different cakes.  The "quilt" part of the idea came from here.  The sports was brought into it from here.  I wanted it to be a little different from each of those though.

 

The baseball Oreos idea came from Little Miss Mama also.

These baseballs came from Oreos dipped in white chocolate and then piped with red gel icing.  I wished I had been able to find the pre-dipped Oreos, but it didn't end up taking that much longer to dip them.  They were definitely worth the effort and there were none left at the end of the shower. 
These are some of the 40 cake pops chilling in the fridge before game time.
I made these football pops ahead of time and the only thing I regret is using the white gel icing for the threads because it never hardened.  I was able to keep most of them in tact, but the threads smeared on some.  I should have used melted white chocolate for the threads.

 
Genna posed for me with her cake pop.
Like I said, I go crazy for themes!

No comments: