Thursday, July 26, 2012

Siblings in the Summer


Many people tell me they could never home-school their kids because they would drive them nuts with the arguing between siblings.  I think I have figured out why.  These people only have their kids home full time during the summer when there is a lack of routine.  When there is a lack of structure to the day, children tend to get into more trouble and siblings argue more.  This summer I have seen this in my own kids.  I guess it goes back to the saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop."  

I just finished (minus a few small details) reorganizing the unfinished part of the basement, and have started lesson plans for the school year.  This is keeping me busy and leaving the children idle too much.  I have resorted to doling out cleaning jobs when I get tired of the arguing and tattling.  The other day Genna and Isaac were having a silly argument, and I gave them an assignment as a sort of consequence instead.  Isaac had to draw something he loves about his sister, and Genna was supposed to write a sentence about something she loves about Isaac.  

 Genna wrote, "Isaac is nice and he shares his toys."  Isaac tried to draw a picture of him kissing his sister, but he said it didn't work.  So then he was drawing Genna helping him up when he fell.  Then he changed it again to the two of them posing for a picture together.

This is a typical Isaac look.  He was explaining what he was drawing.

No comments: