Saturday, December 22, 2012

Gift Making

I made two baby blankets in the last month.  The first is for a baby boy and was inspired by this striped flannel blanket.  You sew the strips of flannel reverse of a typical quilt with the raw edges out.  Then you cut slits all around the raw edges and wash it.  This was fast and turned out so soft that I know I will be making more of these.  In fact, I was seriously considering changing Drew's name to Henry and keeping it for myself, but the spirit of Christmas won out and it is in the mail.

Thanks to my sweet son, Isaac for modelling it for me.

 The next blanket is for a baby girl, and it took much longer since it is made in the traditional quilt style.  I had to add a layer a flannel in the middle instead of batting and then I did my first "stitch in the ditch" ever.  Let me just say that is easier said than done.  My eyes were crossing trying to keep the top-stitching hidden in the "ditch."  It is still made with strips instead of squares which makes it a little faster than a regular quilt.  I got this idea from here.  Again I was tempted to change Drewy's name, but I resisted and it is also in the mail.  Possibly a couple mommies are getting a sneak preview of the gift to come if the USPS lives up only to my low expectations.

Thank you, Hannah, for modelling!


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Kelle, Henry looooves his soft, sweet blanket! Thank you for your crafty hands and generous spirit! It's adorable. :)