Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

I haven't been one to make New Year's resolutions, but this year I feel like making some.  I read an article about Pope Francis inspired resolutions and I was truly humbled by the list since my resolutions are so small compared to that list.

#1  I want to be more compassionate towards others sufferings.  I read a friend's blog post and realized that I am not a compassionate person.  I don't care enough about others and their trials, neither big and especially not the small ones.  It's not fun or easy to think about sufferings.  And if they are not your own sufferings that you can't get away from, it is often easy to put it out of your mind, at least it is for me.  I am going to pray that God will give me a more compassionate heart this year.

#2  I want to focus our religious studies on apologetics this year more.

#3  I want to go as a family to a soup kitchen and volunteer.  Brian is already working on setting that up.  They had enough help for the holiday season.

#4  I would like to put my crafting to use for the less fortunate.  I read about this website, Craft Hope, in Family Fun magazine that provides opportunities to craft for different causes, like super hero capes for the kids in women and children shelters or pillow case dresses for children in Africa.  I really want to do this and to include the kids in some way.  I am stretched for time these days, but even doing a small thing would be a start.

As much as I'd love to make the 10 resolutions inspired by our Pope, I am hoping my little ways to strive for holiness will lead me one day to the big ways.

No comments: