Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Out of Sorts




This is kind of how we've all been feeling since the big move.  Drew's been losing his temper. Genevieve's been crying over missing her friends and being lonely.  Judah's kicked it up a notch with his two year old tantrums.  Bobby stopped sleeping through the night and got a cough he can't shake, but has otherwise been happy.  Hannah and Isaac have seemed normalish, but I think they just hide it better.  Brian's got big adjustments at work to deal with.  I have been drowning in boxes, to do lists, the children's issues, my own loneliness, learning my way around, cultural and language frustrations, and trying to feel settled.  I know from prior experience though that it takes a good six months to feel settled and normal.  The house still feels foreign, even though I am not getting lost in the house anymore.  If you are moving or just moved for the first time to a whole new area, whether it be an overseas move or not, just give yourself six months.  I hated New York for six months, and then I loved it.  I hated Germany before for six months, and I cried my eyes out when we left it.  I hated Maryland/DC for that long, and, again, cried my eyes out when we left.  I'm used to it, but it doesn't make it any easier.  

No comments: