Sunday, August 5, 2018

My Six Quick Takes

So much of this blog has been about our trips lately that I feel like I am missing the little details of my little ones as they grow up (entirely too fast for me).  Here's a small peek into each of their lives.

Today I was talking to Hannah about us giving her less in order to help her be an exceptional person.  She replied, "But Mo-om, we are moving to Texas, the land of grandparents and they are going to want to really go crazy and give me lots of things since we haven't lived near them in so long.  And, I gotta tell you, I'm not unhappy about it!"  She said it with a sweet smile and not with attitude or defiance and it was kind of adorable.

Genevieve has really been putting in the hours trying to become the favorite sister with the little guys in the house.  She spends so much time helping them and reading to them.  Plus, she's even been listening to Drew read aloud his 15 minutes a day and sometimes doing Judah's reading lesson with him if he'll let her.  I think it will pay off since Hannah's spending more and more time reading and drawing in her room.

Isaac has been my special helper in the kitchen of late.  He asked me if it is weird that he likes to cook since he is a boy.  I listed off several men he knows who are excellent cooks and put his fears to rest.  He's basically my soux chef and I talk him through what I am doing and why, except on easier dinner nights like tacos or spaghetti and then he does the main cooking.  The other night I left the kids all at home for dinner alone.  Isaac cooked the frozen pizzas all by himself and the only complaint I got from the other kids is that it was cold by the time they sat down to eat.  That takes practice in a big family, getting the meal on the table and eaten while it's still warm.

Drew is pushing boundaries all the time, and I really have to remind myself to stay on top of him because he is so much better if I'm tough on him than when I give him slack.  He's my take a mile kid.  He finished the 100 Easy Lessons to Reading book a few weeks ago and has earned a small date with Mommy for it.  I took him to the BX and got him Chinese Orange Chicken and a milkshake.  He's already working on his next goal of reading aloud 100 books to earn a date with Daddy too, but many days needs some external motivation to get him to do the work.

Judah, oh, what to say about him.  He's having a hard time right now.  First of all he got the most determined sty in his eye that I've ever seen.  It's been over a month since it first appeared, but it waned a bit in the middle and we thought it was going away.  Alas, it became a big bubble right below his eye that looks pretty hideous, poor thing.  Finally, Brian decided that I should take him in, since he had been telling me to put heat on it and it would go away on it's own.  After the pediatrician looking at it and referring him to Ophthalmology, we finally got a cream to put on it.  However, he is recommending a surgical procedure to remove it if it doesn't improve in one week.  We decided against that until we move.  (Update:  It did shrink with the cream, but now months later it is still there.)

Then there is the whole behavior problems that he's having.  He's back to throwing big fits and now telling me outright he just won't do "such and such" all the time.  Even though my response is always, "Then I am afraid I can not help you or get anything for you until you comply."  He always does it in the end, but so. much. resistance.  He's trying to grind me down, but I'm still standing so far.  I think he is in need of more Mommy time so I am working on getting him that right now.  I woke up one morning with the Holy Spirit telling me to read him a story before anyone else gets up.  He's nearly always my first up in the mornings.  He had a really good day that day.  I'm going to try to do it more often.

Bobby is still potty training (I'd say not one hundred percent trained yet) and wearing big boy underwear all day.  At Mass, I whispered to him that it was nearly time to go up for Holy Communion.  He said he wanted to have it too and I said that he wasn't big enough yet.  To which he replied, "I am big, Mom, I wear underwear."  Touche, my Love.


No comments: