Friday, November 2, 2007

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy...

That is the first part of 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 that I am trying to teach Hannah now. I made her a sticker chart in Word and printed it out. I put the whole verse at the top and made the part we are focusing on now red (Hannah's favorite color). Then I made a chart with 3 columns with each part of the above verse broken down into Patient, Kind, and Does Not Envy. Then I used clip art (since Hannah doesn't read yet) to describe each attribute. We hung it on the wall and Hannah (and Genna too, despite the fact that it will not mean quite as much to her) will get to put stickers in the column when she shows someone love in those ways. Does Not Envy will be tricky to reward, but I'll figure it out. We did something similar when working on James 1:19. With that one, I didn't think to break it down the verse down like that. Although it would have been an easy one to do. I just had the verse all in one column, and had a couple other things that I thought we needed to focus on in the other 2 columns, washing hands and sharing. My goal at the time was to see if Genna would really catch on and get something out of it too. However, she didn't have a clue why we were doing it to the best of my knowledge. I thought since she learns so well by just copying Hannah and watching her that it might click, but I think she needs a few months before that's a real possibility. She enjoyed getting to put stickers on and Hannah seemed excited for her when she got to add a sticker to the chart though. I am sure I can get her involved somehow this time too.
I am really excited about this though, because it seemed to work really well with her first verse. Plus, it is easy for me to reinforce the verse many times a day by saying it with her while she puts stickers on or by reminding her how she could get stickers when she does not choose to do the right thing. And to top it all off, I am, God-willing, teaching her how to live out the Bible verses as well as memorize them! So much to teach, so little time!

Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it. ~Proverbs 22:6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful idea.