Saturday, May 10, 2014

Another Point for Drew's Guardian Angel

Well, Drew's guardian angel saves him again.  Isaac and Drew were playing in the living room.  I was in the kitchen and the hysterical (and I mean hysterical) screaming began.  I hadn't heard any thumps or crashes, but it sounded pretty bad.  I envisioned Isaac standing over a bloody Drew because I could not hear Drew at all, and, well, Isaac inherited this dramatic over reaction from someone.  I hurry around the corner to find Isaac still hysterically screaming, "Aaaaah!  Aaaaah!  Aaaaah!  Aaaaah!  Aaaaah!" over and over again.  As I ask What happen? and What's wrong?, my eyes are searching for blood and for Drew, neither of which I could locate.  Isaac (still screaming, mind you) gestures toward the window.  Then I see the open window...with no screen.  As soon as it registers that Drew fell out the window, I see his head pop up and head toward the front door.  (This window goes out onto our front porch.)  Thank you God for that head popping up because I was able to keep myself from loosing it.  Turns out Drew went out head first, but caught himself with his hands and scratched and bruised up his arm pretty good in the process.  Good one, Guardian Angel!

I am so thankful that he fell out the window!  Because it was the first floor window.  Because it wasn't the window on the other side of the living room which has a whole story drop onto the concrete patio.  Praise God for that!  And I am hoping it made a big enough impression on these two crazy boys who thought it was a good idea to lean on a window with just a screen that neither of them will do it or allow anyone else to do it in their presence again.  Isaac being old enough to know better and having been told when all the windows were opened a few days before this not to lean on or let Drew lean on any screens, got a good talking to about being responsible and taking care of his little brothers and had to fold a load of laundry instead of watch the video they were about to watch.  Some may think that harsh, but I need my kids to learn responsibility.  That was a small punishment I gave because I felt that the fear he felt watching his brother fall out the window was a pretty good consequence for his irresponsibility.  This is not a first time occurrence.  Remember the tumble they took down the stairs?  Just last month Isaac watched his brother pour buckets and buckets of water out of the tub onto the floor.  We now have a hole in the ceiling beneath that tub from leaking.  They are both grounded from the tub indefinitely.  Showers only.  Point is:  Isaac needs to start thinking things through and the only way that's going to happen is with a little consequences for his actions.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh this makes me feel so much less crazy! Things like that happen a lot around here...sometimes it feels like we live in a zoo or circus! Just big family life I guess! I grew up without siblings (sisters were already grown) so I had no idea! ;)