Tuesday, July 21, 2015

D + 2 = Surprise Birth!


Robert "Bobby" Cecil Smith was born on Monday, July 20th, 2015, at 11:49am.  He surprised us all by being 10 lbs 6 oz and 22.5 inches long at only two days past my due date.  Plus, he made his entry into the world rather quickly and without me having to be induced which was double the surprise since I've been induced or had to have my water broken with all but Genevieve and him.


He was and is a healthy big guy that the nursing staff nicknamed "the toddler" on the postpartum floor.


He did not have as much dark hair as I thought he was going to have based on my indigestion during the pregnancy, but he does have two dimples in his cheeks and a cleft in his chin.  My predictions were a bit off here, but what's new?


 Since this labor came on out of no where on a Monday morning, Brian had just gotten back to his job in Richmond, VA for the week so he had to turn back around and make the ~2.5 hour drive back when my contractions started up and were actually consistent and close.  There will be a full birth story coming up, but (spoiler alert!) Brian did not make it in time to see our Bobby's grand entrance into the world.  Luckily, I've done this before a few times and had a dedicated friend there to support me through my transition craziness.



His first night (in the hospital) was a rough one for me, but he had a tough day so I'll forgive him for that.  Additionally, he's super cute and soft, and who can blame this guy for anything?

3 comments:

The Pilots Wife said...

See, you should swear off exercise for good! :) Congrats! Toddlers are cute too. ;) At least he can't unroll the toilet paper...yet. God bless!

Maria said...

He's beautiful, Kelle! Congratulations!!!

Kristen said...

Congrats! What a wonderful story and a beautiful, healthy baby. Sebastian surprised us by coming on his own on D+2 also. Too funny. We narrowly missed having a baby in the middle of daily mass. I decided at the last minute to head to the hospital instead. :)